Poll

When you purchase Notes for your "Collection" Do you

Hope that the price will increase over time?
Couldn't care less if you lose money?
Do you buy notes mainly with the objective of selling them for a profit at a later time?
Author
Topic: Investment Or Collection?  (Read 7403 times)
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 25, 2009, 08:12:03 pm »

what do you think?

MG
 :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:13:54 pm by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:24:48 pm »

I think the question is slightly flawed... There should be a third option that more accurately reflects the "investment" side of things: "Do you buy notes mainly with the objective of selling them for a profit at a later time?"

The two options presented give two positions: a) the fence-sitter who is neither an investor nor a collector (or is both), and b) the collector. You're missing the investor who doesn't really care about the items themselves as much as they do the money they can make from buying and selling.

Personally, I would put myself into the fence-sitter role whereby I try to make smart decisions when purchasing notes, but the notes go into my collection and except in rare circumstances, they stay there. Sure, I've bought notes specifically because I knew I could make a few bucks on them, but that's not my normal activity. I also from time to time ignore the catalogue because I want a note.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:29:17 pm »

I have changed the poll to reflect BWJM's request. Please cast your vote!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:35:16 pm by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:26 am »

I have changed the poll to reflect BWJM's request. Please cast your vote!  ;D
Sure change the options after I voted.....that's like going to a voting poll and only having 4 of the 5 members on your ballot and in the last five minutes of voting you add the 5th guy to the ballot.....Pretty obvious who won't win.....or is it..... ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:30:24 am »

This isn't a democracy but simply a Monopoly. Come on everybody knows this.  ;D

OR DO THEY?  :-\
MG

Login with username, password and session length