Author
Topic: fakes from China  (Read 7163 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:43:11 pm »

They're here... Just spotted this on our favorite auction site...

{http://www.give-a-buck.com/special/fake100a.jpg}
{http://www.give-a-buck.com/special/fake100b.jpg}

I did not put the seller's name on the images; he did that himself.  So, the notes in the images look obviously fake.  The question is: Will the buyer receive notes that look exactly like this?  Or will they look more real?  Will they also lack the overprints?  We know from the fake coins from China that the coins shown in the listings have "COPY" stamped into them, but when they arrive, they have no such markings.  Does this mean the fight to stop Chinese fakes is moving into paper money now that eBay has shut down the trade in coins?

No hay banda  
Lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »

The notes specifically state they are "practice notes", that is, for counting practice.

John
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:01:02 am »

I hope that you have reported this auction to eBay as listing counterfeit banknotes, and also reported it to the RCMP.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
ShareBear
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:21:30 pm »

Yeah,  these are not fakes.  China produces training notes of foreign currency.  They have chinese writing identifying them as training notes.  These notes are used by bank tellers so that they can identify foreign exchange notes.

In the US they use a telephone directory size book with different currencies.  I was in Colorado and the teller had to pull out her book because she had never seen Canadian currency before.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 07:23:42 pm »

I wonder what the Bank of Canada would have to say about a Chinese company making "training notes" with designs copyrighted by the BoC, and what they would say about Canadians attempting to purchase such notes.

No hay banda  
ikandiggit
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:07:46 pm »

My co-worker's father works in a bank in China. Earlier this year, he sent me a gift of coins and banknotes as well as this reference book (older edition) that they used to identify world money.

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 01:38:53 pm »

I found an ebay seller selling the SAME serial number GemUnc States of Jersey 10 shilling note out of Shanghai three times before I reported it to eBay, the note finally stopped being listed. I haven't been burned yet but be really suspicious of anything coming out of China.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length