Author
Topic: The Holy Grail of 1954 Devil's Heads?  (Read 7836 times)
painterman
« on: September 03, 2011, 02:22:59 am »

This set was given to me to sell for the owner.  Until recently, I knew nothing of Canadian currency, but after a little research, it appears to me that this could be something special.

These notes are all pristine and have been kept together, in a holder and away from light since they were new.

All notes bear the Coyne/Tower signatures and all have the serial number 0000054.

I can't imagine how anybody could have put this set together, so it must have been some sort of government presentation set or something like that.  (Maybe that would explain why the $1000 isn't included.)

A truly stunning matched set. 

These seven notes will be going on the market by the end of the year, and obviously, my goal is to get as much as possible for them.  Usually, nice sets bring a lot more if broken up and sold individually, but in the case of these notes, I think that would be criminal and I don't think I could do that.  I definitely want to see them stay together, but I have some decisions to make and I would like to get a little feedback from the very knowledgeable folks in this forum.

Should they be offered "raw" or should they be graded, and if so, by whom?

What is the best auction house for rare Canadian currency?  Who consistently has high-end notes and gets top dollar for them?

Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I will keep this forum posted as to the status of this set as it heads toward the marketplace and back into collector's hands.

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:37:48 pm by BWJM »
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »

Nice set indeed.

I would recommend keeping the notes raw, and sell as is if they are already exceptional quality. Why add extra cost to you for the grading of the notes.

Geoffrey Bell Auctions     www.gbellauctions.com
recently sold one of these sets
http://www.icollector.com/1954-Bank-of-Canada-Devil-s-Face-Set-1-to-100-Matched-S-N_i10734533

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
painterman
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 04:37:35 pm »

Ellwood - thanks for the link to Geoffrey Bell Auctions.  This is the first time I've seen something comparable and my heart is all a-flutter.  My set is as fresh and crisp as this set appears, and even more stunning, I think, because of all those zeros and the S/N to match the series.

I visited Bell's website and it appears that they have but one auction per year.  Do you know of another auction house that would get as good results and who would be having monthly or quarterly auctions, or a annual auction that will be held in the next six months or so?  My client doesn't really want to wait for a year.

Thank you very much for all your help.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:39:47 pm by pinksugartit »
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 06:19:44 pm »

You can also try TCNCCoins.com

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »

or you could try Moore Numismatic Auctions

http://www.moorecoins.com

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »

I have viewed this set in the past.

Any updates?

Shylo
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:32 pm »

I think it was in the TCNC auction ... I can't remember what it sold for.... but I think it may have been for around 9500 plus BP of 1700...

This was one set I did have my eye on..  but certainly lack the funds to add something like this to my collection.

Login with username, password and session length