Poll

Should the Canadian Paper Money Forums create a new board for coin-related discussions?

Yes
21 (80.8%)
No
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author
Topic: Coin Forums?  (Read 20099 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:11:33 pm »

It has been suggested recently that we create a new board for coin-related discussions.  This would potentially include (or at least open the doors to) discussions on bullion products, Royal Canadian Mint products, tokens, etc.

On one hand, this is the Canadian Paper Money Forums, but on the other hand there's no reason why we can't welcome other branches of numismatics.

I would like to hear your thoughts.  Please vote in the poll above.  If you have any more detailed thoughts, please reply to this thread.  Thanks!

This poll is only "testing the waters" and the results are in no way binding.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:47:00 pm »

I'm all for it. I don't see why we have to limit ourselves to just one form of currency. :-[

Scott
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:05:00 pm »

I think it would be a great idea especially since many of the paper money collectors that I know either started collecting coins or still do.
Personally I would like to see a trading post where one could buy/sell/trade coins and bullion.

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:07:01 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Lamb
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:20:02 pm »

i have no objection to coins, i 'graduated' from them and stamps.  if i had a choice i would rather have foreign or other papermoney.

John
Tommy6301
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:25:02 pm »

great ideas , i totally argree to have another source in the same forum
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »

Only 13 voters so far??
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:11:52 pm »

I think it's a good idea, as long as we can avoid inheriting some of the problems plaguing other coin forums.

No hay banda  
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 03:36:57 pm »

What problems are the other forums having?
JB-2007
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:15:33 pm »

A great idea!  :)
A place where we could indeed discuss RCM products, circulation finds etc.
Bruxi
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:20:31 pm »

Count me as one of the "no" votes.  I like that everyone here shares the same interest.  The single-minded focus of this forum makes it more interesting and relevant for me.

My 2 cents (hahaha)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 05:56:09 am »

Count me as one of the "no" votes.  I like that everyone here shares the same interest.  The single-minded focus of this forum makes it more interesting and relevant for me.

My 2 cents (hahaha)
I do agree that the great thing about this forum is that you know everyone here has the common interest of paper money, but as long as the coin forum is separate, I don't see a problem since as I said before many collectors are interested in both areas.
It is no different than if I have no interest in let's say World banknotes, I just don't bother reading posts in that section.

Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 08:21:08 pm »

I dont see a problem with it.
Though I dont see it being much used ether.

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »

I think it will be quite popular, like people above said a lot of collectors collect coins and banknotes.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 02:07:26 pm »

The people have spoken!

I have decided to create four new boards here at the Canadian Paper Money Forums:
  • Canadian Coins
  • Gold, Silver and other Bullion
  • Tokens and Medals
  • Foreign Coins

This is a bit of a "pilot project" to see how well the new boards are used.  If there is sufficient demand and activity, we may add additional boards or split some to be more specific.  (Who knows, maybe there's a huge amount of pent-up discussions about British coins!)

So please pass the word on to your friends and fellow numismatists that our coin forums are now open for business.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:52 pm »

Just wondering if there will be a trading post dealing with these new items instead of combining it with the one for paper money?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »

Just wondering if there will be a trading post dealing with these new items instead of combining it with the one for paper money?

Let's see if it becomes a problem, then we'll deal with it at that time.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »

I do not collect coins and I don't think we should have a coin forum here. There are coin forum sites already and I think CdnPaperMoney forums will be taken over by coin inquiries and we will soon have to sort through pages of coin stuff to find the occasional comment on paper money, kind of like it was on eBay awhile back when all the shredded money was on there.

That's my 2 dollars worth, Gary_T

Gary_T
Hunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 07:34:45 pm »

Yikes!!!
Coins, Coins, Coins
I must be lost!
Nope, it says Paper Money Forums!
I liked it better before!

Is it just a harmless prefix-kix or do I live for that next prefix-fix?
abyss
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:15 pm »

Yikes!!!
Coins, Coins, Coins
I must be lost!

:D
I knew this would happen...separation may be a good thing before things get out of hand
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 07:40:17 pm »

Yikes!!!
Coins, Coins, Coins
I must be lost!

Well more action here in the past half hour than all week :)

AZ
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 07:44:24 pm »

:D
I knew this would happen...separation may be a good thing before things get out of hand

I have to agree... We get coin postings mixed with banknote ones, there is too much information in one place. I hoped there would be a similar but separate FORUM for coins, not THREADS. And while I am a coin collector myself, I'm not sure I like to see the bullion thread here, it's for investors, not coin and banknote collectors.
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 07:46:50 pm »

I'm not sure I like to see the bullion thread here, it's for investors, not coin and banknote collectors.

We could just limit it to Coins.. and remove bars all together
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 07:48:18 pm »

I have to agree... We get coin postings mixed with banknote ones, there is too much information in one place. I hoped there would be a similar but separate FORUM for coins, not THREADS. And while I am a coin collector myself, I'm not sure I like to see the bullion thread here, it's for investors, not coin and banknote collectors.

I agree as well.  I am always looking to buy and/or sell and the postings here could end up being overwhelming.  Then add in RCM products people want to buy and/or sell and the papermoney posts will be hard to find. In fact, I was thinking of offering to trade replacement notes for coins... :-X

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:08 pm »

We could just limit it to Coins.. and remove bars all together

But I like bars.....how about just no gold and silver jewelry is allowed :)

JB-2007
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 08:21:43 pm »

I agree with the fact that there should be a trade post section reserved only for coins in coins section. That way for those who don't have interest in coins will not be stuck searching through coin adds just to get to paper money. 
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 08:27:38 pm »

I use the "View the most recent posts on the forum".. Along with the seperate trade section.. I think it might be nice to have another link to the most recent coin threads.. this way it shouldn't bother the strictly paper collectors as much.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:29:25 pm by only4teeth »
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 09:47:29 pm »

I think it might be nice to have another link to the most recent coin threads.. this way it shouldn't bother the strictly paper collectors as much.
I was thinking the same thing.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »

Sounds like everyone wants things the way they were.  Strange... Conduct a poll, get strong support for an idea, but once it's implemented, out come the critics.

No, we will not have an entirely separate forum for coins.  No, we cannot make coin threads red and paper threads blue.  No, we can't separate them on the Recent Posts page.  No, we're not going to have a separate Trading Post (for now... if things get crazy then I'll reconsider, but for the time being, no).

Let's see how this present setup works for a while.  If people simply cannot handle it, then I'll ditch the coin forums and go back to where we were last week.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:59 pm »

Let's see how this present setup works for a while.  If people simply cannot handle it, then I'll ditch the coin forums and go back to where we were last week.

I like the new coin forums. Lately this forum has been so slow, that you could not check the site for a couple days, come back and nothing new has been posted. With the coin forums, there is a lot more to talk about now, and the activity here really seems to be picking up.

With just banknotes, it seems like every topic has been covered and all the new posts are made by new members asking the value of there notes.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 10:14:53 pm »

With the coin forums, there is a lot more to talk about now, and the activity here really seems to be picking up.

Yeah, but it's coin-related discussions, hence of no value to me.  Maybe in time, we'll go back to discussions of folding money.

No hay banda  
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 10:19:23 pm »

Those of you who don't want to see coin forums here just have to click one little triangle to make them disappear. All that's left is a 1cm thick strip indicating that they can be unhidden.

{http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/455/screenshot20120307at716.png}

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 10:36:35 pm »

Sounds like everyone wants things the way they were.  Strange... Conduct a poll, get strong support for an idea, but once it's implemented, out come the critics.

I like the coin thread idea, and I don't mind the way everything is set up. My suggestions were only for the benefit of the paper collectors, nothing more.
AZ
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 11:16:13 pm »

First of all, thank you Brent for coming up with the idea and adding the new coin threads. We appreciate your time and dedication to the forum.

Many of us are coin collectors as well, and the threads are valuable to us. My only problem is the following. Like some others, I generally do not read individual threads and instead check recent posts a few times a day. I have the page bookmarked and I can quickly scan new posts, without browsing threads of interest to see if they have new information.  The new coin-related posts may add to the number of recent posts, making it harder to filter out new posts. While virtually all banknote posts are of interest to me, only some coin-related posts are.

An ideal situation would be to have two recent posts pages, one for banknotes and one for coins, to keep the two areas separate. I do know this cannot be done.

After using the forum for many years we have become set in our ways and changes may ne hard to adjust to. For sure, let's give this new setup a try and see how it works out.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 07:25:59 am »

I am 100% in favour of the idea. Whether the forum separates or combines paper and coins doesn't matter since I read every thread anyways. My only concern was paper only collectors would get annoyed with all the excess chatter. I sure hope we continue to try this out for a while and appreciate the effort Brent has put in to give it a go.

FRIEDSQUID

Login with username, password and session length