Author
Topic: 1996 $2 Coins  (Read 9959 times)
JB-2007
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:20:11 pm »

In 1996 the Royal Canadian Mint produced the new $2 coins on two different planchets: German and Canadian. Does anyone have a trick to tell the difference between the two?
Tommy6301
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:00:38 pm »

good topics to bring it 's up
i also like to know as well
tommy6301
SaintMichael999
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:38:44 pm »

uscanuck1ca
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:42:20 am »

Here is another good liink

http://www.coinscan.com/err/prefab.html

From what I understand, once the coins are in circulation it is near impossible to tell the difference.
JB-2007
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:00 am »

From what I understand, once the coins are in circulation it is near impossible to tell the difference.
That's what they say in the Charlton but sometimes collectors find new ways to tell the two apart.

Actually, it is possible that the $2 that i have is a German planchet one because i have had that coin since february 1996 when they first came out. I guess if you got a $2 coin during the first few weeks of its circulation it was the ones with the German planchet. I recall back then, they had many problems with those particular coins. Some had problems with their centers (they were breaking out of the coin) in other words they did not hold up well to circulation. Does anyone know when the Canadian planchets were finally released into circulation?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:20:07 am by JB-2007 »
Hounddog
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:28:15 pm »

I'm not really into collecting modern coinage but I knew I had read something on this a while back. I looked around and found the site and with permission from Patrick Glassford here is his information on them.

" German Prefab Type Varieties

Types that occur due to variations (errors) that occur during the creation of the Planchet
or the Striking of coinage, concerning the German Prefab Type Planchet.

There is a German prefab Two dollar planchet, which was used before the present method of a separate core and ring being fed to the dies. What is interesting here is that neither the core, or the inner ring were upset prior to its assembly. These types of planchets would probably be more stressful to dies and they would cause the dies to deteriorate faster. If you note on any Two dollar coin there is a raised border around the core. On the prefab planchets the dies had to form that border with out the assistance of the upset type core and ring.

It is interesting to note that all Two dollar blanks examined, have been Burnished.

Burnishing is a process that involves tumbling the planchets in a large drum with small metal pellets. This roughens or dimples the entire surface of the planchet and is helpful in producing the Frosted Cameo-like appearance of the Polar Bear on the struck coin.

Burnished planchets also "slide around" easier and are less likely to get stuck or stick together and cause other problems, like striking errors...

Having the opportunity to examine many of the German made planchets and the two piece Core and Ring sets produced by the Royal Canadian Mint (RCM), there are remarkable differences in the Burnishing.
The pieces made by the RCM have a much more pronounced and deeper Burnishing.

The RCM Pieces also appear to be very finely "oiled."

Simply put, the German Type Planchet does not have anywhere near the "shine" to those by the RCM does.
They appear "Dry" as they do not appear to be finely "oiled."
We hope to have more information soon regarding oiled planchets.

Quite few German made blanks have appeared, but that supply will dry out as the prefab type of
planchet was phased out in the early part of 1996.
In time it could be a key piece in completing a set of Planchets. *Estimated value $150.00* "

Cheers, Bill

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:33:28 pm by Hounddog »

[img
Hounddog
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:31:29 pm »

Sorry, I just realized this information has already been shown earlier.

Cheers, Bill

[img
uscanuck1ca
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:13:25 pm »

There is quite a difference in price between the two planchet varieties. I have wanted to add a German one to my collection but so far haven't seen any available. Attached is a photo of a current one listed on eBay that is described as a German planchet for $199. I have the same $2 note/Toonie set that I bought for under $15.  It may be that mine also has the German planchet but I have no idea when these sets were put together and perhaps they include both varieties.

{http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2232/germanplanchet.jpg:http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2232/germanplanchet.th.jpg}
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:15:05 pm by uscanuck1ca »

Login with username, password and session length