Author
Topic: 5 Dollar Canadian Uncut Sheet  (Read 15183 times)
squid24
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:54:56 pm »

I am thinking of selling my sheet of uncut Canadian 5 dollar bills...40 Sheet. Could someone tell me what a fair price to sell them for would be. Thanks
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:04:07 pm »

Im assuming these are the ANU prefix released back in 2002... These sheets are worth $300 but in my opinion a fair price for such a sheet is $250.
squid24
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:25 am »

Thanks
TheBurnz
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 02:38:57 pm »

Dang, I just bought one for $575 cad. I hope prices have gone up since 2012?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 05:51:49 pm »

I hope prices have gone up since 2012?

It depends on what you mean by "prices."  Yes, the market value has gone up slightly to about what you paid.   

Charlton's BV has gone even higher but this doesn't make sense when almost all the Bird series took a serious hit in the book a few years ago (and very few notes have recovered).  I have rarely seen sheets sell for about 75% of book value on eBay (so that's why I stated you got fair value).  A few years ago they were selling for about 50% book.

I suppose Charlton could be getting their figures from i-collector (or other auctions) but I have never seen sheets of notes sell well at either shows (or on eBay). I used to attend a few of the GTA shows between 2006-2009 and saw the same dealers with the same rolls (sheets) of Multicoloured $1 & $2 and Birds $5 & $10.  I spoke with a dealer and he told me, in confidence, that they sold similar to the "Lasting Impression" sets.  They're just a tough sell.

BTW:
I stopped paying attention to i-collector because the end bids didn't make sense either (esp with the buyer's premium).  I saw too many over-graded errors sold at 100-200% above book (because notes were VF to EF) but being passed off as UNC.  The only logical explanation is US buyers have ran out of the their usual targets (1935 & 1937 notes) & were in bidding wars for these soiled/unimpressive error notes.  (Errors are big in the US)

IMO: I really think it is hard to establish "what its worth" on many items these days as the older series are listed in US & only a little of the newer stock is listed in CDN or listed in true auction style on eBay these days. I don't think you can use i-collector as a valid yardstick to measure what any CDN note is worth right now. 

TheBurnz
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 05:09:34 pm »

Thanks for the explanation. I did see in a local auction the $5 bill sheet sell for over book value, but again they were using icollector as an online platform. I've been keeping track of prices from all over the place for the the last year and the $10 sheet is rarely seen, but I guess my purchase was based on my love for uncut sheets and for a purpose of display and not for resale.

I just wanted to know what if my investment was good. I was able to get 3 sheets of the $1 notes (2 being a regular prefix sheet and 1 ECV prefix sheet) for $200. I was happy with this purchase.

It is weird, what's going on in the current hot online auctions. I see the $1 sheets very often on eBay being sold for $100 or less, but in the current auction on The Canadian Numismatic Company I see one presaging for over $150 already. Why would you pay that, if you can get one on eBay for much less?

Thanks again
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 06:05:33 pm »

I see the $1 sheets very often on eBay being sold for $100 or less, but in the current auction on The Canadian Numismatic Company I see one presaging for over $150 already. Why would you pay that, if you can get one on eBay for much less?

I sure don't get it.  It's very odd what's going on these days & the platform which one sells can definitely bring surprising results.   Maybe a lot of people are leaving eBay & find "live" auctions more exciting? The auction houses are the ones really profiting from this trend.

I tried a couple online auctions other than eBay (auction network; Heritage, etc) and they all became 'too rich for my blood."  Clearly there's a lot of collectors with deep pockets.  I still suspect that most are US based.  On CCF someone reported that a bidder paid $315 on a UNC68 Commemorative $10. 

TheBurnz
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 09:59:15 pm »

Yeah, I don't get it either. I listed on eBay once 14 circulated 50 cent Canadian coins from 1910 to 1920's. I only got one bid of 99 cents US plus shipping. which was $20.

So I don't see how some would over that much for a commemorative, unless hey are biding on there own supply.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 05:18:50 pm »

I listed on eBay once 14 circulated 50 cent Canadian coins from 1910 to 1920's. I only got one bid of 99 cents US plus shipping. which was $20.

-It can be that way.  I've had a similar experience.

I don't see how some would over that much for a commemorative, unless hey are biding on there own supply.

-It turns out that its the high grade $10 is the new vertical 2018 note (not the commemorative) so the buyer could get out of it since it was not listed correctly.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 05:47:55 pm »

Yeah, I don't get it either. I listed on eBay once 14 circulated 50 cent Canadian coins from 1910 to 1920's. I only got one bid of 99 cents US plus shipping. which was $20.

Wow, I could turn around and sell that $7 face value as junk silver to J&M for $78.61. Let me know if you put up any more listings like that, ha.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
TheBurnz
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 03:59:44 pm »

Now I am really confused, unless they sell to each other.

I just saw on GBEll's auction a *replacement 1979 $10 bill with the "Covered Bridge Collection" title on it. This exact note has been for sale for the last 6 months on the Auction Network.

Login with username, password and session length