Author
Topic: Image of Asian-looking woman scrapped from new $100 bills  (Read 4304 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »

That's a very interesting story. I had no idea there was such a thing as "neutral" ethnicity. Learn something new every day.  ::)

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
ShareBear
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:37:13 pm »

There is an Asian child on the back of the $5 bill so I don't understand why it should have been a problem on the $100.  What I don't understand is why there is an unknown scientist on the bill.  What can there been a famous Canadian like Banting.  Other countries go out of their way to have brilliant mind on their banknotes.

UK has Newton.  Israel has Einstein.  France did a whole series on scientists and mathematics.

suretteda
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:23 am »

Statement by Governor Mark Carney on the $100 Bank Note

The $100 bank note celebrates Canadian medical innovation. In the early stages of developing the themes of all the bank notes in the polymer series, focus groups were used to test what types of images best evoke the themes. One of these was a photoshopped image based on an original photograph of a South Asian woman looking through a microscope.

As is always the case, in the subsequent design of the actual $100 note the designers created an original set of images from the ground up. On the actual bank note the researcher was drawn so as to not to resemble an actual person. Therefore, the final image did not look the same as the photoshopped image shown to the focus groups.

All of this occurred in the early design stages before the final design was presented to, and approved by, myself and the Senior Deputy Governor.

In the development of our $100 bank note, efforts by the bank note designers to avoid depicting a specific individual resulted in an image that appears to represent only one ethnic group.

That was not the Bank's intention and I apologize to those who were offended - the Bank's handling of this issue did not meet the standards Canadians justifiably expect of us. We will be reviewing our design process in light of these events. Our bank notes belong to all Canadians, and the work we do at the Bank is for all Canadians.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2012/08/press-releases/statement-governor-mark-carney-100-bank-note/
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:20:58 pm »

I think the issue is being blown out of proportion...
People are too sensitive these days...Who cares??

eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
suretteda
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:15:43 am »

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:09 pm »

kai
  • Collector of world banknotes
    • Paper Banknotes
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 10:58:25 pm »

Image of Asian-looking woman.

Am I right to say that none of you all have seen the image?

What is Asian to one may not be necessary Asian looking to others. What about the aboriginal peoples of Canada? Don't they too look a bit Asian too? Could that scraped image represents them too? Or perhaps those focus groups think that these people are not smart enough to get a Science degree.

This may not be an insult to the Asians in Canada, but a blow to the aboriginal people of Canada instead.

Welcome anyone who wish to exchange uncirculated banknotes with me. Many Thanks
ayrhead
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 09:13:48 am »

Hi: Everyone: Just new to this forum. Saw this post about the asian-looking woman. would these notes have any increased value? If yes, does anyone know which bills were affected? I have some FKE, FKH, and FKV $100.00 bills... Just curious if these were in that time frame.
Cheers, Ayrhead
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 04:20:12 pm »

The note in question was still in the prototype stages when this change was made. No notes with the "Asian looking woman" were ever printed, and to my knowledge, no images of the prototypes have ever been made public.

ayrhead
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 08:55:32 am »

Thanks for the information. Is there any value to having $100.00 bills in a numeric series?? When I got these bills I have one in a numeric series of 5 and the other in a numeric series of 7.  :-*
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 12:21:51 pm »

Hi there,

I believe you are referring to 'consecutive' notes...ie. FKV3435732, 33, 34, 35, etc.
If so, there isn't really any extra value in these notes.

Smile from your heart.  ;D

Login with username, password and session length