Author
Topic: NEW EUROPA SERIES BANKNOTES  (Read 8494 times)
suretteda
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:20:32 pm »

During the ECB's press conference on 8 November 2012, Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, announced the introduction of the second series of euro banknotes. Called the “Europa” series, it will include a portrait of Europa – a figure from Greek mythology and the origin of the name of our continent – in the watermark and the hologram. The new banknotes will be introduced gradually over several years, starting with the €5 banknote in May 2013.

http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/Europa-Series/Why-new-banknotes

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:38:22 am »

Interesting read along with the various videos.   Anyone notice the mention of a coating being applied to the new 5s? 

Guessing it's going to be similar to the Journey series experiment with the 2 lowest denominations which never went beyond that and there's no mention of enhancing the 10-500 Euro notes.

The info I read also makes mention of removing the legal tender status of the first series eventually but allowing them to be redeemable at various central banks indefinately.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:24:23 pm »

Thank you for sending the link. As I was going through it I could not help but notice that the current series is designed to reflect the various periods in art and architecture. Although I have seen this on Euro notes I did not realize that it was carefully planned. Is there similar information available about the design elements of the Canadian Bank Notes?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
suretteda
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »

UNVEILING OF THE NEW €5 BANKNOTE

The Europa series €5 banknote was unveiled, on behalf of the Eurosystem, by ECB President Mario Draghi on 10 January 2013 at the Archaeological Museum in Frankfurt am Main. Compared with the first series €5 banknote, the Europa series has a refreshed design as well as enhanced security features. The new €5 note will be introduced in the euro area as of 2 May 2013.

It went on display as part of the “New Face of the Euro” exhibition, which was also inaugurated on 10 January 2013. The exhibition is being held from 11 January to 10 March 2013.

http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/News-Events/Press/PRESS-RELEASES-PRESS-KITS
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:01:44 pm »

Not a whole lot of change, I see. I was hoping for a major redesign. This reminds me more of the colourized changes to US notes in recent years.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »

UNVEILING OF THE NEW €5 BANKNOTE

I did not go to the llink but is there some talk about discontinuing the old $5?

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:59:24 pm »

I did not go to the llink but is there some talk about discontinuing the old $5?

Yes, it will be withdrawn from circulation and will no longer be legal tender after a certain date, but will remain exchangeable at the central banks indefinitely. Canada and the US are unique in that we don't have a legal tender end date for our old banknotes.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:12 pm »

Yes, it will be withdrawn from circulation

Thank you. I better get my into the bank.

Norum
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 07:47:38 pm »

Yes, it will be withdrawn from circulation and will no longer be legal tender after a certain date, but will remain exchangeable at the central banks indefinitely. Canada and the US are unique in that we don't have a legal tender end date for our old banknotes.

January 1, 1999 with the year after the conversion to the euro German mark has ceased to be an independent currency was in circulation only as subordinate to nedesâtično him. Coins and banknotes remained legal tender until 12:00 January 1, 2002 . Since then, German marks and pfennigi are converted to euros and cents without restrictions in time and without additional cost to the Bundesbank's offices, 1 euro = 1.95583 marks.

Login with username, password and session length