Author
Topic: Same plate numbers different signatures - does it have any significance?  (Read 3850 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member

I am new to bank notes collecting but find it fascinating. I have entered several notes in the SNDB.

I have come across $20 notes where for the same combination of FPN/BPN I have different signatures and/or year of printing. In one instance I have same combination of FPN/BPN same signatures but one is journey note and the other is polymer.

My question is their any significance of finding same FPN/BPN across different dates/signatures/series of notes.

Thank you

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:33:34 am »

My question is their any significance of finding same FPN/BPN across different dates/signatures/series of notes.

For the average collector- the answer is "no, there is no real significance finding same FPN/BPN" across different dates/signatures/series.   On occasion, notes will have the same FPN/BPN according to a pattern which is explored by mmars in a thread below:

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=12013.0

It appears as if all the polymer notes will have the same FPN?BPN as the technology to print these has changed.

For older series:
To a veteran collector the pattern of FPN/BPN is of interest because they wish to know more about the printing process.  Also- when errors are found sometimes knowing the FPN/BPN patterns can help these collectors predict the occurrence to the error.  For example, some BTT & BTU $10 notes had the $20 (queen's head) watermark.  knowing the pattern discussed above can help predict where to find other notes that could have the same error.

The other interest re: FPN & BPN is when the BPN goes missing as it did in some 1954 $1.00 regular issue and asterisk replacement (most notably the *B/M).  Some Devil's Face notes also have missing BPN. 

A pattern of missing BPN also occurs for the $20 BIRDS notes and the BPN colour of some BIRDS $5.00 Series notes were either yellow or blue.   

For more recent series:
For BIRDs/Journey notes:

More collectors are interested in the notes printing date, signatures and prefixes which will sometimes indicate change-overs, inserts or other factors that make the note less common and more collectible.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:00:39 pm »

Thank you so much for the information. Very informative article. Clears up a lot of things.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length