Author
Topic: I need your help...  (Read 7707 times)
Shylo
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:34:49 pm »

I have just been shown a wide range of Russian Empire rubles dating from late 1800's to early 1900's. The bank notes were brought to Canada as a family of Russian Mennonites immigrated in the early 1900's.

Anyways... by next week I will be able to get some scans of the notes, but I wanted to do a bit of research on the notes in the mean time.

These notes are basically a family heirloom and a symbol of what little the family ancestors had when coming over.

As a Christmas gift to this family which is very close to me, I was hoping to do some research on these notes, to find the value of notes today, as well as what one could've purchased with notes around the time of issue. If possible I would also like to know what some of the allagorical figures, or pictures on the notes represent.

If there's anyone that could help me with a list of reference books or websites that could provide me with some information, I would definitely be in your gratitude.
blumax
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:44:51 am »

For starters try http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/countries/EUR/RUS/RUS-IMP.htm. This only covers banknote identification, but the website corrects numerous SCWPM errors.

blumax
Shylo
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:30:22 pm »

Thanks for showing me that web site... it has helped with the identification, especially in regards to similar issues with different signatures.

While I'm sure that any world paper money cataloge will give me an indication towards the value of each note for today's collectors. I am also trying to figure out what exactly one could have purchased at the time with the notes my friends have.

Would you know of anywhere or anyone (perhaps a historian of some sort) that may be able to help me find out this type of information as well?

Thank you so much for you help I certainly have appreciated it.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:22:41 am »

Wikipedia says that the ruble was on the gold standard until World War I. In 1885, one ruble was worth 1.161 grams of gold, and was devalued in 1897 to 0.774 grams.

Gold sold for US $21 per troy ounce during this time, and the Canadian and US dollar were concurrently at parity. That leaves a value of 67.5 cents per gram of gold.

Sooo...

An 1885-1897 ruble was valued at 78¢ Canadian, and an 1897-1914 ruble at 52¢. Hope this helps.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Shylo
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 01:04:30 am »

This has been incredibly helpful!!! Thank you ! Thank you... so much. It just gives a much better picture of how little this family had when they came over, and what they could have even done with the money in their home country.... The story is unfolding and hopefully I can get this done by Christmas
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:58:32 pm »

Sometimes colleges & universities have historians or knowledgeable librarians who may be able to provide some info or steer you in a helpful direction to get the info you're looking for.  Be specific & clear in terms of what type of info you are searching for (with dates/names/possible places) to give them an idea of how they can be of some assistance.

Norum
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:24:56 pm »

Thanks for showing me that web site... it has helped with the identification, especially in regards to similar issues with different signatures.

While I'm sure that any world paper money cataloge will give me an indication towards the value of each note for today's collectors. I am also trying to figure out what exactly one could have purchased at the time with the notes my friends have.

Would you know of anywhere or anyone (perhaps a historian of some sort) that may be able to help me find out this type of information as well?

Thank you so much for you help I certainly have appreciated it.

Hello! Maybe I can help you in identifying and evaluating your notes that you asked, but I need pictures or scans of these notes ...You are welcome

Login with username, password and session length