Author
Topic: Averse to Mailing  (Read 7881 times)
Bruxi
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »

I have some bank notes to grade, and I am worried about mailing them.  What are my options in southern Ontario to hand the notes off in person?  I know BCS is in K-W, so I know that is one, but looking for other options.  Is there anything else in the greater Toronto area?  I've had a few "sorry about your luck" experiences from Canada post and USPS lately, and can't risk another loss.

Thanks!
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:47:14 pm »

I'm confused.  Are you saying the 1 hour drive to Kitchener is not worth offsetting the risk of mailing?

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:02:20 pm »

I'm confused.  Are you saying the 1 hour drive to Kitchener is not worth offsetting the risk of mailing?

I have driven over 3 hours to make sure I can hand my notes directly to Steve at BCS..not worth taking a chance if the notes have any substantial value...

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
tmort
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:12:00 am »

Is BCS the top grader? Who would you experienced graders recommend?

CPMS member
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:23:37 am »

Notwithstanding the fact that BCS has been a repeat donor for SNDB contests at this site, and the fact that BCS is a major sponsor for the ONA Convention in April, BCS is my one and only choice for grading my notes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:31:07 am »

Is BCS the top grader? Who would you experienced graders recommend?

I think you have to consider why are you getting your notes grade in the first place..
If you want an honest grade I personally would use BCS and I know Steve is always willing to give you that personal feedback that you will unlikely get elsewhere.
What you should do if you are not already...join the CPMS and get their newsletter
In fact I just finished reading a very interesting article written by Michael Zigler on TPG notes and there are some great examples as well as an analysis of a few of the TPG's  Check it out ...it may answer your questions
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Bruxi
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:54 pm »

Yeah - just curious what else is out there.  Is there nobody in Toronto?
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 04:08:03 pm »

Im in Toronto,... I actually just got back from BCS / Colonial Acres now. Its an 1.5 Hour drive each way but well worth it considering the money I save for not having to pay shipping and handling there and back for the 20 notes I got graded, Plus the shipping for all the stuff I bought from Colonial.

Steve is absolutely the best there is in our hobby, very easy to talk to and he's always willing to impart his knowledge of his field of expertise with no strings attached.

tmort
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:31:38 pm »

Ok, found the information in the CPMS journal from March. Thanks.

CPMS member
Frank_Lut
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:24 pm »

I drove over 3.5 hours to get my notes graded with Steve at BCS, and I would do it again!

Login with username, password and session length