Author
Topic: Bulk Note Storage  (Read 6425 times)
hdldddpd
« on: April 07, 2013, 12:15:02 pm »

How do you store large amounts of bank notes?

I am a prefix collector and when I find a new prefix I like to keep 20-30 of them for future trades or sale.  How would you recommend I store them, I don't want to put every note I have into a single sleeve.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 12:37:53 pm »

You can probably get away with storing about 10 notes per sleeve without any issues.
What I use is similar to a shoe box that you can pick up at any dollarama for a buck
They have a bottom and a lid and are very sturdy and stackable and the sleeves fit in perfectly standing up ....Also a little metal tab to slide in a desc of what is in the box
It is the cheapest way I know how to stack large quantities of notes safely.
Of course I don't recommend this for high end notes but for common prefixes I think it is the way to go...only my opinion...
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Rusty
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 12:40:22 pm »

You can easily place ten in a single sleeve (not the archival mylar type though). It takes a bit of practice, but if you carefully hold a stack of ten, you can slide them all in at once and keep them perfectly lined up and stacked upon each other.
tmort
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:49:42 pm »

do many other collectors keep your bills in pages/binders?

CPMS member
Shylo
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 10:17:06 pm »

At a $1 per page binder holder and they can only hold 3 per sheet that just gets a bit much.... I haven't bought any note holders yet for my collection but would reserve it for only select few notes.

Having said that to help answer Henry's question..... I have used an old toolbox it's super deep and wide enough... I lined the inside with cardboard that is just a little higher than the height of the bill holders ... with another sheet of cardboard that goes on top ... the toolbox is capable of double decker capacity and at 28" it has a very high capacity and the latches on the top secure everything in and down.

When you can't fill a complete row I have used solid insulative foam board and cut it size to act like a book end... (as I add notes I just shave the foam board down a bit) and where the top tray for the tool box went I have two other pieces of foam board together and attached to the lid so when the lid closes it creates something of an air tight seal.

Super cheap as I only used items I had lying around and very high capacity.

I have also thought of some how rigging up some old brief cases to hold the notes as I have access to to a bunch of brief cases that have that 3 digit locking mech on 'em.. but so far the tool box holds all mine and there's still room for a lot more so that project is on the back burner...

Before the toolbox I just used a cereal box and foam board...it had a decent capacity but what I didn't like about it was you couldn't flip through the notes to find what you were looking for you pretty much had to take all the notes out to get the one you wanted.
Shylo
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:55 am »

Just thought of another one for ya Henry...

Monster boxes that hold silver maples.... I have one of them lying around from an older silver purchase I made.. they fit notes in holders really well... the seal fits like lego and with a bit of duct tape I think you could make a water tight seal on it if you wanted.... the lid pops off easy and then you can flip through all the notes... plus the monster boxes are built to be stackable and fit in grooves like graded coin slabs..

Try going to your local coin dealer and see if they have any monster boxes they want to get rid of... I think I have also seen them for sale for a couple bucks as well online....

Just another idea.

Login with username, password and session length