Author
Topic: Grading notes from the 1954 series  (Read 5880 times)
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:44:02 pm »

This is a question to the forum in general.

I am by no means an expert on grading, but my question is this:

If you have a note from the 1954 series (Devil's face or modified), should you always see embossing from the front of the note when viewing the back of a note?

I have several notes from the 1954 series, both Devil's face and modified.  When looking at the backs of the notes, I see absolutely no evidence of embossing from the front.  However, the note "smells" right (no chemical smell) and the creases, counting folds, flicks, edge bumps and what have you are all there to indicate that the notes are VF or EF -- but no embossing can be seen when looking at the backs of the notes.  Should I automatically conclude that such a note has been pressed or otherwise processed?

tmort
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:56 am »

Thoughts? I am anxious to hear input from the experienced collectors.
PS. I love that snowy owl image - the Birds $50 is my favourite bill.

CPMS member
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:07:14 am »

PS. I love that snowy owl image - the Birds $50 is my favourite bill.

Yes that's also my favourite note from the Birds series, but the 1975 $50 is my favourite from all series.

I'm glad someone bumped this thread because I've looked again at all of my 1954 notes, and the only ones on which I could see embossing from the front are my 1954 $5 and $10 devil's face specimen notes.  I'm just looking for a few ways to tell if a 1954 note has been pressed.

coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:31:20 am »

Lord knows I'm no expert, but I think there is a variance in all notes when they are printed. I have seen Journey notes that the serial #'s are nearly push through to the other side, same for the '54s,so I think you will see notes with "great" embossing and others with less.
As far as being able to tell if a note has been pressed, other than ones that have been highly pressed, I don't know, but would like to as well

Login with username, password and session length