Author
Topic: TPG plastic holders that unexpectedly release their contents ... (?)  (Read 6482 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector

I was recently looking through my TPG-graded notes and upon picking up one of them the contents suddenly slid out of the bottom of the plastic holder! The heat-sealed strip at the bottom of the holder had evidently failed to do its job. This particular note was graded about 18 months ago.

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem with their TPG-graded notes?

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member

Here's an image of the TPG note in question:

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

All I can suggest is that you contact the grading company.  I'm sure that you can reach a satisfactory solution.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member

All I can suggest is that you contact the grading company.  I'm sure that you can reach a satisfactory solution.
I'm sure that any established TPG grading company would be willing to put things right in this sort of situation. I certainly have no worries there. However, I was interested in finding out if anyone else had encountered this same type of problem. In particular, I was interested in determining whether this problem was due to aging, due to handling, due to the storage environment, etc., or whether it was just a "one-in-a-million" type of problem associated with the thermal sealing machine that was used ..... hopefully the latter.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

I had 2 notes graded by the same TPG as you, but the incident I had was very different. I sold the note to another forum member (unfortuantely a newbie who I never dealt with in the past) and when they received it they emailed me and accused me of replacing the note with another of lesser quality because the bottom was not sealed... rather pi**ed off at being accused I told them to check the TPG 's database and verify that the note I sent was indeed the note that was in that holder....which was ridiculous since the description was correct and sealed in the holder.... they demand a refund which I prompty gave and when I received the note back it was not packaged properly and it was damaged....my GEM UNC 66 went to an AU :(
Anyways I checked the other holder and it was fine....
It did not look like the holder was tampered with by the buyer, it just looked like the seal did not seal properly,   anyways I assume it is rare to happen...and I know the TPG would of had no issues in redoing the holder for free....but in my case the note would have been down graded due to this mishap....sometimes you just can't win :(

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Bruxi

Geez - I don't think I would have given a refund considering the proof was on your side.  Not a very happy ending.
wagnert89
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 02:51:53 pm »

From my experince, i took a note out of a BCS holder and the inner holder did not have an intact seam weld.  I did not see this as a big deal but plastic seam welds fail occasionally but usually because of an incomplete weld during preperation. 

Login with username, password and session length