Author
Topic: $5 and $10 Journey Printed in 2012?  (Read 5818 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:37:26 am »

I do not recall seeing this anywhere so I am posting it here. It is related to the $5 M/C discussion but because it includes $10 I have created a separate topic. If moderators want to lump it into the other topic please do so.

Reading the Bank of Canada Annual report for 2011 and also the first quarter and second quarter 2012 reports I found that there was a budget to print "final order of cotton $5 and $10 notes" sometime in 2012.

-from page 8 of 2012 1st quarter report
-from page 43 of 2011 annual report

Additionally the 2011 annual report indicates the following (pg. 40)

"In 2011, the Bank received 205 million cotton and 107 million polymer notes from the printers, compared  with 456 million cotton notes received in 2010"

It is further indicated that in 2011 all cotton notes were received in the first quarter.

Now 107 million notes is very close to the projected total of $50 and $20 M/C (2011) which total at 113.189 million assuming all numbers from 0 to 10 million or the starting/ending number indicated by BoC were printed. So it would seem to me that the "cotton" notes printed in 2011 were $50 and $20.

Given that DG - Tiff Macklem was appointed Deputy Governor in July 2010 it would seem that if indeed the notes were printed in 2012 as indicated in the annual report then there are not just $5 but $10 M/C notes.

Given that so much information has been disclosed something tells me that someone with inclination can easily find out if the plan mentioned in the annual and quarterly report was indeed completed and also the number of cotton notes printed in 2012.

Please accept my apologies if this is already known information. However based on much speculation I have seen regarding the issue of M/C notes I think this fact brings a different factual perspective to this discussion.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
FogDevil
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:14:40 pm »

Makes me wonder if there were $5 and $10 bills printed in 2012, I wonder if there were only a small number of $10 bills printed in 2012 and why aren't we seeing them yet?

Maybe, even after the Polymer $5 and $10 bills are issued, the Bank of Canada may still issue the remainder of the cotton-paper $5 and $10 bills aggressively for a few more months just like is the case with the $20 bill a few months back.
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:28:35 pm »

I doubt brand new Journey $20 are available after the $20 Frontier series was launched.  All I have seen are new Frontier $20.

Does anybody still get new bricks and bundles of Journey $20 these days?

JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:09:58 pm »

I think it is quite possible the bank of Canada has printed a bunch of $5 and $10 notes dated 2012 but have not circulated them as of yet. Perhaps this was done in case of a possible demand later on which to this date there has not been. The 2013 5 and 10$ issue will come into circulation very soon so it looks quite doubtful at this point any new 5$ or 10$ Journey notes will get circulated.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:58 pm »

There is a difference between the Bank of Canada sending out older series bricks after the launch of a new series and the release of older notes by companies that already have these notes in their vaults.  Not every brick that gets sent out to the public is opened and put into circulation right away.  I know for a fact that not every business handling large sums of money is going to be ready on the launch date of the new series.  Some businesses take months to adapt their machines to new series of notes.  If the Bank of Canada tells businesses they have to return all older series notes in exchange for new bricks of new notes, then that pretty much ensures that any notes that have not hit circulation are never going to hit circulation.  But if the BoC does not set an immediate hard deadline, there is still plenty of time for Journey bricks to reach the light of day in the coming months.  How many of those bricks will be 2011 and 2012 $5 notes (and theoretical $10 notes) is anyone's guess.

The chance of 2012-dated $10 notes existing seems so unlikely given that it would be extremely coincidental that nobody has found one and reported it.  The Macklem-Carney $5 notes got out in small numbers as early as 2011, and that's because they were intended to circulate.  I just can't imagine the BoC ordering a quantity of notes in 2012 and then putting these aside with no intentions of using them.  There would have to be quite a shortage of these smaller denominations combined with delays to the launch of the polymer series.

With the Journey series coming to an end, and with it the practice of putting the printing date on notes, could it be possible that the printers are stale dating Journey notes printed in 2012?  Maybe they have the blessing of the BoC to use up old supplies of paper sheets without going through the trouble of changing the printing plates to incorporate the actual year of printing.  Altering plates costs money.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:40:08 am »

Does anybody still get new bricks and bundles of Journey $20 these days?
Yes. Journey $20 bricks/bundles are still being released

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length