Author
Topic: 1954 $100 ALmost UNC 58 but not designated "Original"  (Read 7532 times)
tripoli
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:59:27 pm »

I just noticed that this note was NOT noted as Original by BCS.  What could that mean?  That any wrinkles had been pressed out, or ????

Also this 1954 $50 DF, which of course I paid quite a bit.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »

in most cases not original can be a lot if things but in general it has been altered some way shape or form...
I have notes from "reputable" dealers that have NOT received the original designation...so is it the dealer...or the TPG.... you have to figure that out..the dealer makes more money by not telling you and the TPG makes their cash either way....unless they are over cautious and staying safe...

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 01:58:05 pm »

Wrong picture. The 50  pictured is not a Devil Face.
tripoli
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 02:13:39 pm »

Sorry about that....then I have another non original note...here's the one I was referring to:

therealco1986
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 08:39:10 am »

In cases of high grade notes, it could be something like a trim, not necessarily that it had been pressed.  Either that, OR it could be that it was pressed lightly, as the original certification for Devil's Face variety has to contain some original rippling due to the printing process to obtain the Original Certification.  I'm not sure on the higher denomination notes, but I think it goes across the boards.  They used excessive ink, and thus caused rippling in the heavily inked areas.  This could have been seen as a flaw to a collector prior to grading, and maybe they flattened it out a bit.
therealco1986
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:42:57 am »

As an addendum to the above, direct from the BCS webste :

Finally, on a higher grade note, the act of flattening out inherent imperfections in the paper also eliminates the desirable qualities of a well printed Uncirculated note. The Bank of Canada 1954 series, for example, typically has shallow waves throughout the note caused by damp paper during the printing process. Restoring a note will ruin this desirable quality. Other irreversible changes include the elimination of embossing and a general change in the texture of the paper.

Giving it the high grade, but not the distinction of original paper quality.  PMG calls this Excellent Paper Quality, I believe.
carlitocrash
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:46 pm »

Also this 1954 $50 DF, which of course I paid quite a bit.

[/quote]

The label on this holder says BC-41a
Shouldn't it be BC-42a?
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 12:59:13 am »

Yes this should be BC-42a but as it saya it is a modified portrait not a DF (Devils Face)

A rare error note holder variety!  ;)

Gary_T

Login with username, password and session length