Author
Topic: 100 Beattie-Rasminsky 1954 A/J  (Read 12417 times)
regent
« on: December 27, 2014, 04:03:43 pm »

I am looking for that note for over ten years. I went thru over a million transactions on ebay in the last seven years, I never saw one ,if you have one , please post  a scan.
thanks

Regent  CPMS Life Member 59

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:58:52 pm »

Do they exist?

No hay banda  
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:28:07 pm »

interesting... i always thought this was a fairly common note. I will look into this!
regent
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:50:01 am »

Do they exist?

It is why I am asking. Looking for something that does not exist can be a bit frustrating.
I have the same frustration with the 50 beattie-rasminsky a/h

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 05:51:48 pm »

I just had a look through the Bank of Canada collection for everything dated 1954, and could not find any Beattie-Rasminsky A/H or A/J notes.  In fact, they don't have any changeover notes that correspond with the serial numbers in the catalogue.  For the changeover from Beattie-Rasminsky to Lawson-Bouey (there are no Bouey-Rasminsky $50 or $100 notes... or are there??), the Bank DOES have the changeovers.  I think this has something to do with the fact that Beattie-Rasminsky was the first signature pair engraved on plates rather than added in a separate printing process.  Signature changeovers at that point had significance because it meant a change in design.  The earlier changeovers had no such importance.

Anyhow, it is my opinion that Beattie-Rasminsky A/H or A/J notes do NOT exist, and if someone wants me to expand on this opinion, they can ask.

No hay banda  
regent
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:20 pm »

Do you think the bank of canada can confirm that those two notes were never issued.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:17:35 pm »

Ask them.  Maybe a forum member who has success corresponding with Bank of Canada officials can help you.

No hay banda  
JB-2007
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 10:37:58 pm »

Anyhow, it is my opinion that Beattie-Rasminsky A/H or A/J notes do NOT exist, and if someone wants me to expand on this opinion, they can ask.
If these notes never existed then why are they listed in the charlton catalogue with price values? The only prefix that is mentioned to not exist is C/H. I find it hard to believe that 50 years later and no one knows the faith of these notes. I doubt that they were never released.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 04:28:52 am »

If these notes never existed then why are they listed in the charlton catalogue with price values?

Because it was assumed that they existed.  Nobody questioned their existence until now.  Remember that very little information in the catalogue is reviewed from one year to the next.  It is harder to prove that something does NOT exist than it is to prove that something does exist.  The information about all notes of prefixes A/H and A/J being fully printed was likely added to the catalogue without giving it a whole lot of thought.  The few paper money collectors active in the 1960s likely did not track regular note issues of the higher denominations.  If there were collectors of prefixes and changeovers at the time, they were probably not interested in high denomination notes.  The low catalogue prices for these notes are a significant clue that they don't exist.  No supply, no demand, no market, and there is nothing to push prices higher for something you would think could be worth much more.

The only prefix that is mentioned to not exist is C/H. I find it hard to believe that 50 years later and no one knows the faith of these notes. I doubt that they were never released.

And yet the simple burden of proof of a picture of one of each of these notes seems to be highly elusive.  Or, if not a picture, than some other indirect evidence like Bank reports.  I think it's a bit erroneous to put faith in something that has no proof of existence instead of simply saying, "Well, maybe Beattie-Rasminsky notes started with new prefixes, B/H and B/J."  It's not like there was any danger of the Bank running out of prefixes for $50 and $100 notes of the 1954 series.

Many people take things for granted, like the belief that the catalogue is incredibly well researched.  Logic would say that a yearly publication that has been around for 35 years must be very accurate, and many people are too scared to believe otherwise.  But more research into Canadian paper money has been done in the past 10 years than the previous 50.  And quite a bit of information in the catalogue is over 10 years old.  We are just starting to get things right these days.

My feeling is that the Bank of Canada would not object to releasing data on the 1954 series vis-a-vis the changeover to Beattie-Rasminsky.  However, I am not sure even THEY would know the answers to our questions.  If the information exists, it has to be found.

No hay banda  
regent
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 08:42:16 am »

Ask them.  Maybe a forum member who has success corresponding with Bank of Canada officials can help you.
Please if any member had any succes to have answer from bank of canada ,give us the name of officials
that can be usefull in that matter

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 11:54:38 am »

Please if any member had any succes to have answer from bank of canada ,give us the name of officials
that can be usefull in that matter

I would start with a query to the BoC museum. 

regent
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 12:08:08 pm »

I'll start with that thanks

regent
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »

I sent the question to the bank of canada ,now I am waiting for the answer

Hunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 06:51:18 pm »

The Canadian Prefix Newsletter, Vol. 8, No. 1, page 16, (Jan. 1982) records both BABN and CBN R/C $5s.  This could only have been done by actual observation of circulation notes  as the first Government Paper Money catalogue was not released until 1984.

Bright Brilliant Bob,

Were there any newsletters that could reveal something important about these other two prefixes from ’54?

Is it just a harmless prefix-kix or do I live for that next prefix-fix?
regent
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 11:36:54 am »

I sent an email to the bank of canada and this is the answer;
Monsieur,

Suite à votre demande, je vous informe que nous n’avons pas accès aux registres de billets pour savoir définitivement si les 50$ Beattie-Rasminsky au préfixe A/H et les 100$ Beattie-Rasminsky A/J ont été mis en circulation. D’après nos records, nous ne possédons aucun exemple de billets de 50$, ni  de 100$ 1954 de Beattie-Rasminsky avec les préfixes A/H et A/J respectivement.  Nos seuls billet  ont les préfixes B/H et B/J. J’espère que cette information vous est utile.

Salutations distinguées,

David Bergeron

David Bergeron
Curator | Conservateur
National Currency Collection |
 Collection nationale de monnaies
Bank of Canada | Banque du Canada
 IN few words he is telling me that they do not have the registry of the notes in 1954 and that the bank of Canada does not have those notes in the museum

Login with username, password and session length