Author
Topic: BOC to issue a commemorative bank note marking the historic reign of QEII  (Read 35671 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 02:05:13 pm »

Here's the new $20 Commemorative Note.   The only difference is the hologram strip commemorating Her Majesty's reign - They show a youthful looking Queen Elizabeth, back in her days.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:16:55 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 02:05:26 pm »

I'm a little disappointed.  A different holograph on the same old design hardly screams commemorative to me.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 02:14:13 pm »

Here's the new $20 Commemorative Note.   The only difference is the hologram strip commemorating Her Majesty's reign - They show a youthful looking Queen Elizabeth, back in her days.

This will definitely create a real problem when the $20 polymer missing holograph errors start to appear on eBay.

How will we know if its a regular or commemorative error note ?   :-D

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
AZ
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 02:19:03 pm »

How will we know if its a regular or commemorative error note ? 

The issue year is different  ;)
Tom-Bear
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 02:31:51 pm »

I too am disappointed. I was hoping for much more than just a change to the holographic strip. What a letdown by BOC. I hope they do better with the 2017 issue, but from this big disappointment, I think I'm going to have to drastically lower my expectations.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 03:28:01 pm »

Folks, this is the first time in nearly 50 years that the Bank of Canada has issued a commemorative note, and only the third time ever.  For a central bank that seems to abhor anything other than the mundane, routine of issuing a standard set of banknotes, this is a monumental event.

Had this been another country who issues commemoratives to celebrate their president waking up in the morning (I'm grossly exaggerating, but I hope I'm making my point), another commemorative would be no big deal and barely worth mention on the back page of the newspaper.

I think we should be giving the Bank of Canada some credit and applauding this note celebrating the Queen's historic reign.

Thank you Your Majesty for your exceptional dedication to your people and your realms.  A commemorative banknote is but a token of our appreciation.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 03:34:01 pm »

This commemorative note is about what I was expecting. Very subtle changes were made to the 1954 $1 for the 1967 issue, and this is about the same.

I am very happy that the correct wording "a historic" was used instead of the incorrect "an historic". The BoC deserves major kudos for that.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
suretteda
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 07:28:32 pm »

Had this been another country who issues commemoratives to celebrate their president waking up in the morning (I'm grossly exaggerating, but I hope I'm making my point)

We don't need to look to other countries...the Royal Canadian Mint is pretty much there already!  :D

JoeF
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 11:17:45 pm »

coinsplus,
The picture you posted appears to show pink planchets in the note.  Is this accurate?

I didn't think the polymer notes contained planchets -- I thought this was a technical impossibility.

The Bank of Canada museum picture doesn't appear to have the planchets, but then again I think it may be a mock-up as the issue date appears to be 2012.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 02:40:48 am »

@JoeF,

Sorry for the confusion.  There are no planchets on the polymer notes.  The red dots corresponded to security features on the polymer notes.

Smile from your heart.  ;D
AZ
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 10:26:17 am »

Well, that was easy. I got the commemorative twenties this morning at main branch of my bank in downtown Toronto. Prefix FWT.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 10:27:27 am »

I bet the vast majority of Canadians won't even notice, especially since the new note has received almost no media coverage.

eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 04:20:47 pm »

Wow!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:22:18 pm by eyevet »

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 04:40:15 pm »

None at main commercial branch of Scotiabank in downtown Vancouver. They said maybe next week.

Login with username, password and session length