Author
Topic: Voting for designs of 2017 commemorative coins  (Read 9229 times)
AZ
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:40:54 am »

Until October 9 everyone can choose their favorite designs for 2017 commemorative circulation coins:
http://www.mint.ca/store/coin-design-contest/contest-vote-form.jsp?lang=en_CA&rcmeid=van_CoinDesignVote
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 01:56:46 pm »

Sigh...more temporary designs. I wish the mint would stop with the dozens of different temporary designs. It's overwhelming.

The current 78 year old designs are showing their ages. I wish the mint would commission a redesign of all of them (especially their sizes; a one dollar coin should be no larger than a nickel) and then stick with them.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 06:55:15 pm »

The current 78 year old designs are showing their ages. I wish the mint would commission a redesign of all of them (especially their sizes; a one dollar coin should be no larger than a nickel) and then stick with them.

Do not get me started...  My problems with the current coins are:

1. The "US" denominations: 25 cents, rather than 20 cents and no 50 cents.
2. The 5 cent coin is the same color and almost the same size as 25 cents (again, same problem as in the US).
3. 5 cents, $1 and $2 coins are too large.
4. Outdated designs. The denomination numerals are too small. One needs to know the designs and sizes to recognize the coins, which is a problem for visitors to Canada.
5. The commemorative coin designs are poor and often too busy to be recognizable.
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:31:39 pm »

Sigh...more temporary designs. I wish the mint would stop with the dozens of different temporary designs. It's overwhelming.

I agree, i think we are due for a whole new design of our coins and not just special edition coins. We have had the same design on our coins since 1937. Beside the USA Is there any other country besides us that has kept the same design this long?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 10:38:40 pm »

Beside the USA Is there any other country besides us that has kept the same design this long?

AZ
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 10:39:56 pm »

I agree, i think we are due for a whole new design of our coins and not just special edition coins. We have had the same design on our coins since 1937. Beside the USA Is there any other country besides us that has kept the same design this long?

I can only think of Switzerland.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:23:53 am »

Until October 9 everyone can choose their favorite designs for 2017 commemorative circulation coins:
http://www.mint.ca/store/coin-design-contest/contest-vote-form.jsp?lang=en_CA&rcmeid=van_CoinDesignVote

If these are considered our choices, I would love to see the ones that didn't make it...nothing is appealing as far as I am concerned

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 10:55:18 am »

I don't care for any of the proposed designs.  They are all vastly inferior to the classic 1967 commemorative coins.

The proposed designs all reek of being designed on a computer or are juvenile in nature (building a snowman???)  Is this what we want as a hallmark of 150 years of nationhood???

What is needed is a competition of true artisans using traditional techniques to design a coin.  No computers...just old school craftsmanship.

Of all the themes, "our wonders" holds the most promising designs for coins.  Unfortunately, only one of these will make it.

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 03:16:38 pm »

I'm underwhelmed by these designs as well. Even the voting process is daft. Voting is online only, and the same person can vote as many times per day as he/she wants for every single day of the voting period.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 07:58:39 pm »

I'm not participating in the "voting" either.

Ask me again when there is serious and permanent change, like realistic sizes, useful denominations, and modernized designs that will be the benchmark for the next 75 years. Then I'll vote.

Login with username, password and session length