Author
Topic: 2$ THE QUEBEC BANK  (Read 5424 times)
mproia
« on: October 30, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »

Hi all,

I wonder if you could help me.

I found this bank note in a lot of old coins and I was wondering if it is worthwhile having it graded officially.

Thanks in advance.
mproia
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 03:51:10 pm »

Hi all,

I wonder if you could help me.

I found this bank note in a lot of old coins and I was wondering if it is worthwhile having it graded officially.

Thanks in advance.

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 06:00:49 pm »

The image you have posted appears to be an 1863 $2 note (without town overprint) from The Quebec Bank (cat # 620-34-04).

The most recent catalogue says that the only known examples of this note are in Institutional Collections.

The note appears to be in very poor condition and would grade as "Good" at best.  Because of its fragile condition and unique status it is worth having it graded and put into a protective slab.  The cost to have it graded by BCS is only $15 and is well worth the investment.

Although no catalogue value is given for this due to its unique status it would probably sell at auction for CAD $1000+.  I base this on the catalogue value of $1000 given for the same note with town overprint in Good condition.  It may sell for considerably more since no notes (up until now) are known to exist in private hands.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
mproia
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will surely invest in having it graded.

Login with username, password and session length