Author
Topic: Grading concern  (Read 15096 times)
Weeles
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 08:40:58 pm »

The whole issue with any third party grader is that the grade they assign the note is someones opinion. When using an American grading company, they don't grade buy Charlton standard for the buyer to get a good evaluation on what to pay. I agree with Bob and Mmars that the grade given is correct, then reduce the value to the torn piece.

I have purchased notes from most of the standard grading companies and have errors in grading from all TPG's. NOT everyone is perfect. Best way for any buyer to not get taken, is to learn properly how to grade notes yourself (hard to do without having the note in your hands). Then you can make a judgement yourself if it is what you are willing to own for a price you like. If I am looking on line at a note I use conservative grading for sure since people can play around with tints and colour to make a note look better.

Wayne

Been collecting few bills for about 15 years but now getting into more serious collecting.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 09:31:36 am »

Hi Ogopogo
Like the error notes.  As to grading, if they say the notes are authentic why would they not be graded.  Again, with a simple check of the Charlton book they would know that no 2 letter prefix 1973 $1 sheets were issued for example.

There have been reports of sheets of notes being sold to the public at the Bank of Canada Currency Museum in Ottawa. Like this post about a sheet of 2002 $5s.

After reading that post 12 years ago I have been very skeptical about any alleged cutting errors. 

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 02:45:10 pm »

There have been reports of sheets of notes being sold to the public at the Bank of Canada Currency Museum in Ottawa. Like this post about a sheet of 2002 $5s.

After reading that post 12 years ago I have been very skeptical about any alleged cutting errors. 

I am more skeptical that any sheets other than those currently showing in the Charlton catalogue were ever "sold" to the public at the BOC Currency Museum.

Come on now, with all the relationships that long term members, dealers, collectors etc. have had with the Currency Museum and its curators, you don't think we would know about any other sheet sales by now ?

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 03:02:07 pm »

Come on now, with all the relationships that long term members, dealers, collectors etc. have had with the Currency Museum and its curators, you don't think we would know about any other sheet sales by now ?

I have to agree...I have spoken to a number of individuals at the BOC over the decades and have many times inquired as to whether sheets of various series and denominations were or would be available to individuals of the public and in every case the answer given was no :(
(except for what we already know have been released and are in the CGPM catalogue)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length