Author
Topic: 1935 Bank of Canada $50, BC-13, PMG AU 53 'previously mounted'  (Read 22327 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 02:24:06 pm »

You may not be able to answer this (at least not on the forum) but here is my question
I assume you know who the auctioneer was and I assume at some point in time, even after the fact the auctioneer eventually became aware of the notes history..
How does this reflect on the auctioneer if he/she was in fact aware of the notes original "before" condition.
And if he/she was not aware of it, but later finds out, do they take any responsibility for their mistake?
If I was not aware of the past history (which I was not) and I purchased this note as an unc as described by the auctioneer's description I know I would be pretty disturbed by this.
The bottom line is ...it always up to the buyer to base his/her purchase on his/her own judgment and not take for granted that an auctioneer can be wrong...you would think there still should be some liability on the auctioneer....or what is the point in them describing any note that they cannot guarantee is what they say it is...
Hope this is somewhat clear to understand :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Deleted Member
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 02:32:46 pm »

You may not be able to answer this (at least not on the forum) but here is my question
I assume you know who the auctioneer was and I assume at some point in time, even after the fact the auctioneer eventually became aware of the notes history..
How does this reflect on the auctioneer if he/she was in fact aware of the notes original "before" condition.
And if he/she was not aware of it, but later finds out, do they take any responsibility for their mistake?
If I was not aware of the past history (which I was not) and I purchased this note as an unc as described by the auctioneer's description I know I would be pretty disturbed by this.
The bottom line is ...it always up to the buyer to base his/her purchase on his/her own judgment and not take for granted that an auctioneer can be wrong...you would think there still should be some liability on the auctioneer....or what is the point in them describing any note that they cannot guarantee is what they say it is...
Hope this is somewhat clear to understand :)

I don't agree with the comments on this board.
I'm also a comic book collector and pressing a comic book to get out imperfections is a heated topic as well.
In the end, nothing was added to the banknote; it has not been restored. A stain was removed to bring it back to its original beauty.
I utilized an industry expert who has worked with priceless works of art and assured me that methods utilized will damage/fade the note in the long-run and is in no way detectable.
Rather than appreciate a beautiful note has been brought back to life, you all bicker like old ladies.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:54 pm »

I don't agree with the comments on this board.
I'm also a comic book collector and pressing a comic book to get out imperfections is a heated topic as well.
In the end, nothing was added to the banknote; it has not been restored. A stain was removed to bring it back to its original beauty.
I utilized an industry expert who has worked with priceless works of art and assured me that methods utilized will damage/fade the note in the long-run and is in no way detectable.
Rather than appreciate a beautiful note has been brought back to life, you all bicker like old ladies.

You stated
I utilized an industry expert who has worked with priceless works of art and assured me that methods utilized will damage/fade the note in the long-run

If an expert says that the method used "will damage" the note in the long run, who am I to question that...
Now my concern would be how bad would it fade....does this mean eventually it will just disappear...if so, it
may be a good thing ....a cleaned note gone from existence so we never have to worry about it popping up again :)

Deleted Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 02:50:05 pm »

You stated
If an expert says that the method used "will damage" the note in the long run, who am I to question that...
Now my concern would be how bad would it fade....does this mean eventually it will just disappear...if so, it
may be a good thing ....a cleaned note gone from existence so we never have to worry about it popping up again :)

Sorry, typo, will NOT damage or fade.

friedsquid, you know what I meant.

friedsquid, you and everybody else, are more than welcome to put forward offers if you are interested in the note.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:56:51 pm by BWJM »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2016, 03:39:38 pm »

friedsquid, you and everybody else, are more than welcome to put forward offers if you are interested in the note.

I offer $50.00 considering the deflation of the dollar and the likelihood that the note may disappear (or fade at best) over time. I think that is fair :)
I will also cover postage

Deleted Member
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2016, 03:48:26 pm »

I offer $50.00 considering the deflation of the dollar and the likelihood that the note may disappear (or fade at best) over time. I think that is fair :)
I will also cover postage

I know you are all experts on paper conservation, so who am I to argue. Along with spending the entire day on this board, you know better and would know that there is no way to remove a stain and not damage the note.
You guys are all on a witch hunt.
I came for an opinion on a note and the value and you have demonized me from the get go.
As far as I'm concerned, you can all edited.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:56:10 pm by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2016, 04:24:25 pm »

I've again had a request to get rid of all this stuff.  This time I relented, but only to delete the account of the original poster.  This was also done because said user resorted to profanity on the forums, which has also been cleaned up.

One other thing I wanted to share was a previous thread where the original poster showed the following images of a note only two numbers away with very similar staining:

canada-banknotes even had the following gem which he shared:
"Well I think that you may have overpaid (CAD $2800 + Bidders Premium + HST) for that note at the A.H. Wilkens auction in Oakville today.

I was on the Floor at the auction with numerous other dealers and collectors and viewed the note personally yesterday.

I don’t think you will get more than you paid for the note considering the major stain and damage to the note in the left margin."

A very wise man shared the following remark with me the other day... "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:34:39 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length