Author
Topic: 1937 Bank of Canada $100 Bill  (Read 10397 times)
relly955
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:58:55 pm »

Hey guys, new around here. :)

Any chance I could get a value of this bill (see pic).

I have no idea what condition it's in.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:00:37 pm »

probably 100 BUCKS

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 10:33:05 pm »

The condition of this note would grade at VG as it appears to be a heavily circulated note based on the image. Based on that its not worth much above its face value. (100-125)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 05:27:28 pm »

The condition of this note would grade at VG as it appears to be a heavily circulated note
probably 100 BUCKS

Yes - it is heavily circulated but that does not mean it warrants a VG or face value for that matter. 

This is a guess b/c I cannot inspect the note in person (for crispness) but it appears like the note (based on the colour in the design) may have a slight degree of crispness remaining.  Yes, the edges are VG whereas most of the design of the note are in Fine condition (esp on the front).  According to Charlton a "FINE" note shows "considerable wear (circulation) with wear along the edges and corners.  The corners may be rounded, with wear showing in the design areas."  This note has soiling and ink stains on the reverse. It is possible it has been trimmed on the lower edge.  The design is "not worn off completely in the creases" so that in a healthy market with high demand for 1937's it could fetch closer to the $140 estimated for a "FINE" grade but I doubt that would be the case today (if you were to try to sell it) since the market seems fairly cool towards higher denominations.   

I recommend you hang on to it or take it to a coin/note show and see what you could get for it if you were to trade it (& try to go for a nicer lower denomination). 

ogopogo
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 09:28:54 pm »

Thank you walktothewater for giving a new person 1st posting here reasons for a grade instead of slamming them.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:38:26 am »

It is possible it has been trimmed on the lower edge.

The bottom border is uneven, probably from a slanted cut from the original sheet, leaving the border much thicker on the right side of the face.  This is not uncommon on earlier series notes.  So I don't think the note is trimmed because the bottom edge is worn and dirty.  A trimmed note would have straighter, cleaner edges.

I agree that the note could be technically Fine, but it is grubby and damaged at the edges, hence making it look only VG. In its current state, getting an offer of more than $105-$110 would be hard.

No hay banda  
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:21:45 pm »

Hey guys, new around here. :)

Any chance I could get a value of this bill (see pic).

I have no idea what condition it's in.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Please...Whatever you do, do not take it back to the bank.  Many of us got started in this hobby with face value finds.  :)

Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 07:22:19 pm »

Hey guys, have a similar bill, probably a little worst condition.
Serial# b/j 3940925, any significance to the serial?
JB-2007
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 10:53:21 am »

Hey guys, have a similar bill, probably a little worst condition.
Serial# b/j 3940925, any significance to the serial?
No.

Login with username, password and session length