Author
Topic: Bank of Canada: Canadian woman to be on next series bank note in 2018  (Read 26146 times)
Snoman
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 05:46:11 pm »

Orrrrrr... she could grace the proposed $200 bill :)

Just stirring the pot here.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 04:45:37 pm »

The Queen won't be dropped.  Macdonald, Laurier, and Mackenzie King always make the top three in historical rankings of prime ministers. Borden is 7th or 8th so my bet is for him to go.

I agree...the fact that the Toronto District School Board has closed Sir Robert Borden BTI, the writing is on the wall...

Personally, I wish they would demote King because he was a racist and a lunatic!

suretteda
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 10:40:47 am »

#bankNOTEable Canadian woman will be revealed on 8 December, Bank of Canada publishes short list of five

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Relations
613-782-8782
Ottawa, Ontario
24 November 2016

On Thursday, 8 December 2016, the Minister of Finance and the Governor of the Bank of Canada will reveal which iconic Canadian woman will be featured on the next regularly circulating bank note, expected in 2018.

In advance of that announcement, the Bank today published the short list from which the #bankNOTEable woman will be chosen.

An independent Advisory Council short-listed these five iconic Canadian women earlier this year for consideration by the Minister of Finance.

They are (in alphabetical order):

Viola Desmond (1914–1965)
E. Pauline Johnson (1861–1913)
Elizabeth (Elsie) MacGill (1905–1980)
Fanny (Bobbie) Rosenfeld (1904–1969)
Idola Saint-Jean (1880–1945)

The women were selected from 461 eligible nominees submitted by Canadians during an open call for nominations, launched by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on International Women’s Day, 8 March 2016.

More than 26,300 submissions were received from Canadians over a five-week period. The Advisory Council initially reduced these nominations to a long list of 12 women, guided by the following principles: Canada is comprised of many different communities; the women who appear on the long list should resonate with Canadians and reflect the diversity of Canada; and their achievements must be seen in the context of the time in which they lived.

In compiling their short list, Advisory Council members agreed that these five women best articulated the Council’s ultimate selection criteria: that nominees should have broken or overcome barriers, made a significant change, left a lasting legacy, and be inspirational.

“The Advisory Council had the difficult task of selecting only five outstanding Canadian women from a vast field of strong choices, and I commend the members for their excellent work,” said Governor Stephen S. Poloz. “I am also delighted that this entire process encouraged a meaningful conversation among Canadians about the many exceptional women who have shaped our country.”

“Canadian women made our country what it is today, and they deserve a place on our currency,” said Minister of Finance Bill Morneau. “Thanks to the work of the Council members and to the thousands who participated in the conversation, a new generation of young women and girls will be inspired by the stories of those who contributed so much to our society, our values and our history. And, in 2018, we will all have a constant reminder of these exceptional accomplishments to carry around with us wherever we go.”

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2016/11/banknoteable-canadian-woman-revealed-8-december/
suretteda
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 01:46:32 pm »

Bank note event: Bank of Canada Governor Stephen S. Poloz, Minister of Finance Bill Morneau and Minister of Status of Women Patty Hajdu

8 December 2016

OTTAWA – On Thursday, 8 December 2016, Governor Stephen S. Poloz, Minister of Finance Bill Morneau and Minister of Status of Women Patty Hajdu will reveal which iconic Canadian woman will be featured on the next regularly circulating bank note.

Topic: The announcement of a Canadian woman to be featured on a new bank note

Time: 9:00 (Eastern Time)

Place: Canadian Museum of History, 100 Laurier Street, Gatineau, Quebec - Grand Hall

Lock-Up: There will be no media lock-up for this event.

Distribution: The Governor’s remarks will be published.

Press Conference: There will be no press conference, but the Ministers will be available for Q&A sessions. There will be no press conference or Q&A session with the Governor.

Webcast: This event will be webcast live on the Bank’s website and YouTube channel.

Note: To attend, all media must register with the Bank in advance. Broadcast media and still photographers will be allotted space on a first-come, first-served basis, based on advance registration and are required to arrive before 8:00 (ET).

To register, please contact Bank of Canada Media Relations by noon (ET) on Wednesday, 7 December at 613-782-8782.

The announcement will be preceded by a Facebook Live town hall with students from Roberta Bondar Elementary School, and hosted by the Minister of Finance, Minister of Status of Women Patty Hajdu, and their Cabinet colleagues. The live stream will be available at facebook.com/womencanada. This event will start at 8:30.

For more information about this town hall, please contact:

Annie Donolo
Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Finance
613-769-7187

Media Relations
Department of Finance Canada
613-369-4000

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2016/12/bank-note-event-8-december-2016/
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 03:59:34 pm »

I do not understand why the first note in the upcoming series will be released only 7 years....

Me neither. 

Considering that the first redesigns are going to be the ones released only two years ago it really doesn't make much sense unless they will be permitted to circulate much longer.  More good money wasted. :(

Interesting scenario given that the only similarities between the series will likely only be the colour.

AZ
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 11:36:16 pm »

Considering that the first redesigns are going to be the ones released only two years ago it really doesn't make much sense unless they will be permitted to circulate much longer.  More good money wasted.

The BOC may be starting the upgrade out of political correctness, to please those who were unhappy with women being removed from the banknotes. I cannot think of any other explanation, as in late 2018 the current $10 notes will have circulated for only 5 years. Also, the other denominations will be upgraded quite slowly, with 2-3 year intervals, which is fairly uncommon. This way the existing notes will have circulated long enough to be replaced with the new issues. The last note in the new series will likely be issued in 10-12 years from now.
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 06:42:45 pm »

The last note in the new series will likely be issued in 10-12 years from now.

Thanks AZ for the clarification. 

We don't know what order the new notes will be released in but the $10 will be the first and depending on who long the process takes to select an iconic Canadian it could the the next or last one.

Personally I like the $10 the best and was disappointed they didn't choose the $5 for the new commemorative note.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 09:16:48 am »

The BOC may be starting the upgrade out of political correctness, to please those who were unhappy with women being removed from the banknotes. I cannot think of any other explanation

Nothing to do with political correctness. When the Frontier series cam out, I remember the BoC announcing that to stay ahead of counterfeiters, the series replacement interval would be lowered to 5-10 years, from the typical 15-20 years. This announcement was made long before any discussion of women on banknotes arose. I can't find that reference anymore, but the new series release timeline is right on the mark.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 10:23:12 am »

I remember the BoC announcing that to stay ahead of counterfeiters, the series replacement interval would be lowered to 5-10 years, from the typical 15-20 years.

Yes I recall that, too.  Another noteable Canadian will displace Laurier on the $5 moving his portrait to the $50 (and Macdonald to the $100) and I would expect that note in second half of 2019.  Perhaps the new $20 will follow that year as well.  2020 could see the series completed with the $50 and $100.  Not at all unlikely that this new series will come in swiftly over two years like the current one did.

Marc :)
AZ
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 07:19:27 pm »

Another noteable Canadian will displace Laurier on the $5 moving his portrait to the $50 (and Macdonald to the $100) and I would expect that note in second half of 2019.  Perhaps the new $20 will follow that year as well.  2020 could see the series completed with the $50 and $100.  Not at all unlikely that this new series will come in swiftly over two years like the current one did.

The BOC actually said that the $5 note will be released several years after $10 and that the other denominations will follow with 2-3 year interval. Therefore it will take 8-10 years or even longer for the entire series to be issued.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:30 pm »

Nothing to do with political correctness. When the Frontier series cam out, I remember the BoC announcing that to stay ahead of counterfeiters, the series replacement interval would be lowered to 5-10 years, from the typical 15-20 years. This announcement was made long before any discussion of women on banknotes arose. I can't find that reference anymore, but the new series release timeline is right on the mark.

Check this topic

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=14424.0

The 2013 annual report had some information and then there was an ad for a position to hire a project manager for the development of next generation of notes.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 12:49:57 pm »

Yes I recall that, too.  Another noteable Canadian will displace Laurier on the $5 moving his portrait to the $50 (and Macdonald to the $100) and I would expect that note in second half of 2019.  Perhaps the new $20 will follow that year as well.  2020 could see the series completed with the $50 and $100.  Not at all unlikely that this new series will come in swiftly over two years like the current one did.

I wonder if there will be a colour change too. We've been looking at Laurier in blue and Macdonald in purple for more than 40 years, it's hard to imagine them red and brown.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 05:12:40 pm »

I wonder if there will be a colour change too.

No sense in messing around with the colours.  We know what happened the last time in 1935 when the Queen Mary notes were pulled. 

Would be nice to see a few new security features and perhaps good riddance to the useless see through number.

Snoman
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 02:07:38 am »

Its kinda funny in a way, Laurier will be on the 50 and Macdonald will be on the 100. Its like a reverse currency redenomination, $50 today is worth what $5 was in 1972 and $10 in 1971 had the spending power of today's $100. So I would be all in favour of the new $50 being blue and the new $100 being purple. The Bank of Canada is just admitting the loss in value of the currency in the past 40 years. Prices were fairly stable in the preceding 60 years and then the 1970s saw inflation and devaluing of currency. Inflation is a tax on the working class and the harder we work for it and the more we save, the less its real value is. They blame us for having high debt, but whats the point in saving when down the road it will be worthless anyway.

Just a tongue in cheek commentary on the new banknotes.

Happy New Year!

Kyle.

Login with username, password and session length