Author
Topic: Numismatic Excellence Medal Information Required  (Read 39681 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:24:12 pm »

I am posting in the hopes that there may be an outside chance that someone in paper money forum might have some information on the medal that commemorates 60 years of numimatic excellence 1908-1968. One side of the medal is shown in the picture with this post. The other side (I am assuming the obverse) shows the RCM building in Ottawa.

{http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/462/numismaticexcellence.jpg:http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/462/numismaticexcellence.th.jpg}

Recently the medal sold on e-bay for almost $100. The ebay auction listed the medal as silver although no silver content was stated (i.e. fine, sterling etc.). When I inquired if there was an indication on the medal stating that it is silver I was informed that there was none.

It looks like a very interesting medal and seems to be precursor to the 100 years of Royal Canadian Mint One dollar Silver Coin issued in 2008.

Any information on this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:49:09 am »

Since this medal was produced by the Lombardo Mint, they might be able to tell you more about it.  Their website is http://www.lombardomint.com/

I also found an eBay listing from 2011 where this medal sold for about $14.00 USD: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200609529038&clk_rvr_id=446747527437

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:11:18 pm »

Since this medal was produced by the Lombardo Mint, they might be able to tell you more about it. 

Thank you so much for the reference. I will get in touch with Lombardo. I thought it might have been from RCM but was not familiar that Lombardo was a name of the mint. Something new learnt today.

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:53:18 am »

Thank you so much for the reference. I will get in touch with Lombardo. I thought it might have been from RCM but was not familiar that Lombardo was a name of the mint. Something new learnt today.

It's a good thing that the medal you posted the picture of has "Lombardo" at the bottom of the coin, or I would never have made the connection.  I have a 1973 medallion made by Lombardo for the centennial anniversary of the RCMP.  It's too bad the Lombardo website doesn't have a gallery showing pictures of their medallions.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:40:51 pm »

It's too bad the Lombardo website doesn't have a gallery showing pictures of their medallions.

After your lead I found further information on the medals digging around a bit. Apparently they were minted on two types of metal - Silver and Nickel. The different varieties have different combination of the following:

Font face  - "Lombardo" v/s no "Lombardo"
Back face - "Made in Canada" v/s "no made in Canada"
Edge - Silver or nothing at all

I also saw an example where  on the front face there is "Lombardo" and "Made in Canada".

If the above is true then the e-bay sale that I saw which fetched a price of $95 was most likely for a Nickel medal. Even if it was silver it is a very high price. It is a nice medal for anyone who collects Canadian Silver Dollars but I think the price paid was outrageous unless the bidder knows something about it that others don't

I will contact Lombardo sometime next week to see if they can verify any of this information.

I am looking to acquire one because it has a good view of RCM building on the flip side.

Again thank you for the lead. In collecting knowledge is power and I have found this forum to be the most informative in that regard.

Login with username, password and session length