Author
Topic: Commemorative $10 Note for Canada’s 150th Anniversary  (Read 10409 times)
suretteda
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »

Commemorative Note for Canada’s 150th Anniversary

In the near-term, Canada will celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017 and the Bank will mark this special event by issuing a commemorative bank note. It will be a commemorative $10 note that Canadians can use with confidence and pride.

Further details about this note’s design will be revealed in the lead-up to activities celebrating the 150th.

As this commemorative $10 circulates in 2017, we will be developing the regularly-circulating Desmond $10 note, expected in late 2018.

Why are the Desmond note and the commemorative note for Canada’s 150th both $10s?

The $10 selected for Canada 150 is a commemorative note, and will therefore be available in a limited quantity. It makes sense to follow this commemorative note with the issuance of a new regularly circulating $10, expected in late 2018, featuring Viola Desmond. The $10 is an excellent
choice due to both its high visibility and accessibility to all Canadians.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/backgrounder-canadian-woman.pdf
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:41:38 pm »

Exciting news: 2 new note designs to look forward to (and not that far off). 

I wonder what they mean by "available in limited quantity" for the Commemorative note (like how many printed/will they be distributed normally or special purchase)?

AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:17:30 pm »

Exciting news: 2 new note designs to look forward to (and not that far off). 

I wonder what they mean by "available in limited quantity" for the Commemorative note (like how many printed/will they be distributed normally or special purchase)?

I am thinking the 2017 commemorative $10 issue will be similar to the $20 QE II notes. It will have the same design as the current tens, except for the holographic strip, with about the same number of notes issued. Any further change to the design would require recalibration of the ATMs and other banknote-handling equipment.
suretteda
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:16:03 am »

The Bank of Canada has announced that it will develop and issue a commemorative bank note in 2017 to mark the 150th anniversary of Confederation. Since its inception, the Bank of Canada has issued three other commemorative bank notes.

This polymer $10 note will be broadly available by 1 July 2017. The design of the commemorative note has now been finalized and further details including the security features, the number of commemorative notes that will circulate, and the means to obtain them will be announced when the note is unveiled in early 2017. Stay tuned for updates.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 08:09:13 pm »

I am thinking the 2017 commemorative $10 issue will be similar to the $20 QE II notes. It will have the same design as the current tens, except for the holographic strip,
You expressed this view back in March & it is the most logical outcome.  I'm not sure the "limited edition" or numbers will be quite the same as the $20 though (ie: 3.7M).

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:29:00 pm »

I am thinking the 2017 commemorative $10 issue will be similar to the $20 QE II notes. It will have the same design as the current tens, except for the holographic strip, with about the same number of notes issued. Any further change to the design would require recalibration of the ATMs and other banknote-handling equipment.

If that is what the BoC does then I think it will be a significant let down to the whole public design engagement process they undertook for the 150th anniversary commemorative design.

The following quotes from BoC regarding the design process: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/new-bank-note-canadas-150th/

In keeping with the Bank’s design principles, we asked Canadians to suggest ideas for subject matter and images for this commemorative note marking our country’s 150th. The Bank offered all Canadians the opportunity to contribute ideas via an online questionnaire from 5 December 2014 to 8 January 2015.

The subject matter and images favoured by Canadians and which best met the above criteria informed the Bank's recommendations to the Minister of Finance.

My reading of all this is that we will see something more than a different holographic stripe. After all this public engagement if the only thing that will be different is the hologram then I would be disappointed with BoC's process.

They did not undertake a similar process for the Queen's Reign commemorative note.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 04:16:26 pm »

I am thinking the 2017 commemorative $10 issue will be similar to the $20 QE II notes. It will have the same design as the current tens, except for the holographic strip,

I agree with this sentiment except that it would make more sense for the note to have the new Viola Desmond design + a holographic strip which will be unique: marking the 150 year - just as the $20 QEII commemorative note did.   The new commemorative note may be a limited number of prefixes (or the prefixes/SN may also be unique - similar to the 1867-1967 centennial $1.00).  Then the $10 issued are the regular John A MacDonald design until 2018 when the Desmond notes reappear with regular holographic strips. These are some of the possibilities I can see happening.  I will be surprised if the design is anything more than that.

See:
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/principles-bank-note-design-consultation-data-analysis.pdf
-the Pollara Data analysis concludes that Canadians were looking for more female (& multicultural) representation in their bank notes. 

Login with username, password and session length