Author
Topic: What's special about EWP - Bird $20 - Knight-Dodge  (Read 6302 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 24, 2017, 06:21:28 pm »

I am looking at the GPMC and I notice that EWP - Knight Dodge has a row of its own between the row for ranges - EWA-EWO and EWR-EWZ.

Even though EWP quantity is shown as 10 million they are priced a bit higher than the others with the same catalog number.

I could not find anything in the catalog to explain this. I am sure I am missing something. Can someone shed some light on this?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:59:47 pm »

A quick search of the forums turned up this thread:
http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=2231.0

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 01:09:03 pm »

A quick search of the forums turned up this thread:
http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=2231.0

PS-If this should be part of the original post kindly move it there.

Thank you for sharing the link. I never thought of searching it on the forum.

I had to look at the bar under magnification to make out the difference which appears to be more rounded corners. I did not notice much difference in the PN except the BPN appears to be thinner with the serifs a bit shorter. Is this judged as a different font?

Any chances someone still has those scans from the original post. I will also check up on the article mentioned to see if I can find anything else.

So now I see that I completely missed some information in the GPMC under prefixes and numbering section of Birds of Canada. If I understand correctly the information in the GPMC and the post that was referenced:

CBN produced notes in a 40-on layout until Knight-Dodge EVV.
From Knight-Dodge EVV to Knight-Dodge EWO CBN used new machine which created a 36-on layout
The 36-on layout continued on to EWP to approximately 5.8
CBN reverted back to 40-on layout after EWP 5.8 until EYE

So the reason most likely the GPMC catalog prices EWP differently is because of the two different types within the same prefix. Would that be a reasonable take on this?

Although the GPMC mentions something about layout with respect to EWP there is no mention or images about the change in font and/or the change in the bar.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:23:00 pm »

So the reason most likely the GPMC catalog prices EWP differently is because of the two different types within the same prefix. Would that be a reasonable take on this?
Yup.

Although the GPMC mentions something about layout with respect to EWP there is no mention or images about the change in font and/or the change in the bar.
Correct again.  It would seem to be an opportunity to produce high-res images of both features comparing the two types of each and submit them to the editor for consideration for inclusion in a future edition.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length