Author
Topic: New $10 Polymer Bank Note featuring civil rights icon Viola Desmond  (Read 25544 times)
suretteda

Bank note event: Minister of Finance Bill Morneau and Bank of Canada Governor Stephen S. Poloz

March 8, 2018

OTTAWA — On Thursday, March 8, 2018, Minister of Finance Bill Morneau and Bank of Canada Governor Stephen S. Poloz, along with some special guests, will unveil the design of the new $10 bank note featuring Viola Desmond.

The event will be preceded by a Facebook Live town hall with students hosted by the Minister of Finance, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Development and their colleagues. The live stream will be available at facebook.com/FinCanadaLiveEnDirect/.

After the unveiling event, the Minister of Finance will hold a media availability. Members of the media will also have an opportunity to meet with experts to find out more about the theme and security features of the note. Samples of the note will be available to press photographers and TV crews. There will be no availability with the Governor.

For security reasons, all media must register with the Bank of Canada in advance to attend the event. Broadcast media and still photographers will be allotted space on a first-come, first-served basis, through advance registration. To register, please contact Media Relations by noon (ET) on Wednesday, March 7 at 613-782-8782.

Topic
The unveil of the new $10 bank note featuring Viola Desmond

Time
12:00 AT (11:00 ET) for town hall, 12:30 AT (11:30 ET) for unveil ceremony

Place
Halifax Central Library
5440 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Paul O’Regan Hall
(please use the main entrance)

Lock-Up
There will be no media lock-up for this event.

Distribution
The Governor’s remarks will be published on the Bank’s website at 12:45 AT (11:45 ET).

A press release with more information will be available:

at 12:45 AT (11:45 ET) on the Bank’s website
between 12:45 AT (11:45 ET) and 13:45 AT (12:45 ET) on Cision
Once the note is unveiled, details, including images, will be available on our various social media platforms:

bankofcanada.ca
Twitter
Flickr
Bank of Canada Museum Facebook page
Press Conference
There will be no press conference, but the Minister of Finance will be available after the event for a Q&A session. Other spokespeople will also be available for interviews. There will be no media availability with the Governor.

Webcast
This event will be webcast live on the Bank’s website and YouTube channel.

Note
Expert Kiosks
At 13:20 (AT), kiosks will be open for journalists to visit and ask questions.

Regional Opportunities
The Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) in Winnipeg, which has a permanent exhibit dedicated to Viola Desmond, will also hold an event, starting at 10:15 (Central Time). Bank of Canada representatives will be available on-site to answer questions and will have sample bank notes on hand. For more information about this event, please contact CMHR Media Relations Manager Maureen Fitzhenry at 204-289-2112.

In addition to these events, media interviews and photo opportunities with the new bank note can be arranged with regional representatives across the country by contacting Media Relations.

For more information about the town hall, please contact:
Chloé Luciani-Girouard
Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Finance
613-462-5469

Media Relations
Department of Finance Canada
613-369-4000

For more information about the unveiling event, please contact:
Media Relations
Bank of Canada
613-782-8782

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/03/bank-note-event-8-march-2018/
suretteda
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 12:43:09 pm »

Wanda Robson sees Canada’s new $10 note featuring her sister

We gave Viola Desmond’s sister, Wanda Robson, a sneak peek at the new Canadian $10 note. Join us live on March 8 to see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/user/bankofcanadaofficial

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:11:34 am »

Thanks for sharing Suretteda.  Hope Canadians and especially Banknote collectors are equally pleased.

When Viola Desmond was first chosen she was touted as being the first Canadian woman on a banknote which the B.O.C. revised to first Canadian woman on a regular circulating banknote.

I believe Agnes McPhail rightfully earned the distinction albeit without as much fanfare and hype.

It will be interesting to have three series of $10s circulating at the same time, four if you count the Journey notes which by now have pretty much vanished.  Going to miss the short lived train motif.

With the new $5 and yet unnamed iconic Canadian due out in 2020 this unveiling is likely going to trigger the launch for the selection process mentioned last year.   Using the same criteria, PET wouldn't qualify.

Should be quite interesting!

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 12:24:25 am »

Rumour has it that the new notes are being launched before the end of the month.
At least one person in the CCF forums suggest his TD branch has ordered some.

suretteda
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:26:07 pm »

In circulation starting Monday, November 19, 2018

Media event to launch the new $10 bank note

Canadian Museum for Human Rights, 85 Israel Asper Way, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0L5
11:00 (ET)

Live audio and video webcasts of the event will be available on the Bank’s website.
Media advisory to come.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/press/upcoming-events/
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 04:48:19 pm »

I have asked my branch if they know about the new $10 and she called yesterday to say they have had no word from their central supply in TO.  Odd. 

Anyone else hear anything?

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 09:30:41 pm »

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/11/bank-note-event-issuance-new-vertical-10/

More details about the release on Monday.

Major event in Winnipeg with parallel events in other provinces.

Media event though. Nothing about how General public will get the notes

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
shrek999
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 07:36:06 pm »

I also checked at my local bank and they were not sure of arrival times
AJG
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 06:42:09 am »

Hi, new user here.

I have to admit, I seem to have lack of faith for the new $10 bill coming to my province. To be quite truthful, I have not seen any new $10 bills in NL for over four years, and it got me wondering if the last remaining banks in my province that ordered $10 bills in the past had decided to discontinue ordering them because of low demand?

I have a feeling the new $10 bill with a woman replacing MacDonald may be an attempt to reboost consumer interest, since a number of banks had stopped ordering them.

It should be very interesting to find out if any will appear in my region, but I will be monitoring the $10 bills I receive in my change in the coming months, and if I don't see any by spring, chances are there is not a single bank in NL ordering new $10 bills.

But, if it's any consolation, I did receive a fresh $10 bill in my change this past weekend, and it was an FTP prefix.  Maybe the banks received those new $10 bills just for the distribution center to clear out the existing stock before the new $10 bills get released.

As for walktothewater's post, I'd say the reason why there was no word from the main branch is because either the main branch stopped ordering $10 bills due to low demand, or it's probably due to confidentiality reasons.
suretteda
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 11:35:47 am »

New vertical $10 banknote featuring iconic Canadian Viola Desmond now in circulation

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/11/new-vertical-10-bank-note-featuring-iconic-canadian-viola-desmond/

Launch of New $10 Note

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/11/launch-new-10-note/
wagnert89
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:39:55 am »

My bank has ordered some new 10s but they will not arrive until next tuesday
AJG
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 02:39:13 pm »

My bank has ordered some new 10s but they will not arrive until next tuesday
I'm guessing you live in B.C. or Atlantic Canada?  Or a town or small city?
wagnert89
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 07:35:51 am »

Ottawa area
AJG
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 12:08:23 pm »

I wonder if banks in my region have already ordered a bulk supply of money in advance for the holiday season, and if I won't be seeing any of the new $10 bills until after Christmas? I certainly hope not.

I did come across a fresh $10 bill this past weekend, with prefix FTP.  I am hoping that the banks did not order a lot of new 2013 $10s to replace all of the initial supply of 2013 $10s that first came here in 2013 (which were FEWs) - I hope that FTP is a small number just to replace a few of the FEWs, otherwise it may be July or August before I see any supply of new $10s in my region (when they will replace the FTCs).

I wonder if the ongoing Canada Post strike may delay deliveries of the new $10s?

Login with username, password and session length