Author
Topic: Since April 23rd?  (Read 3889 times)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:56:02 am »

Get the feeling everyone is a little "gun-shy" about posting something new (other than our gratitude to see the site back up & running) so I'm going to throw this out there. 

What numismatic activities have you been up to? [So the question is: did you buy anything; did you go to a show; meet a member; visit/join another forum; etc?]

- Since the Cambridge coin show I haven't done much in terms of buying Canadian supplies or notes (at the show- saw no old time forum "regulars" which was a little disheartening..)
- Turned my eye & wallet on some old world notes (Luxembourg, East Caribbean, Bahamas, Scotland, etc)
- Bid on a few of the Torex "Wildlife Museum" collection but quickly lost sight of how far north the bids went...
- Joined the Coin Community Family (or Coin Community Forum) and saw them create a sub-forum for us paper money collectors!

But its good to be back "home" at the CPMF!

AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 06:17:23 pm »

Wish I could have been to Torex.  My wife wouldn't let me! :-[  Still managed to get a few bids in on some small items but prices did go really crazy on some stuff.

Someone really wanted that $10 EEP "good-over" for $30,000 + buyer's premium + taxes!

And some high grade 1937 notes went for impressive prices for common signature notes.  I wonder if that's where the trend is heading with 100% + premiums for each grade point above 65.

I hope I can make it to the RCNA show next month.  Anyone attending?

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:53:33 pm »

I completed one more article on design of the Canadian bank notes which got published in the CPMS Journal.

This one has wider interest as it examines at the question: how bilingual the Bank of Canada bank notes are?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:25:00 am »

.. Still managed to get a few bids in on some small items but prices did go really crazy on some stuff. ....
And some high grade 1937 notes went for impressive prices for common signature notes.

IMO: I'm sure this recent Torex attracted many American coin collectors/speculators (or at least they were bidding online) as all our older stuff probably appears to be "a bargain" with the exchange rate (not to mention that even the most common CDN notes are rarer just in terms of their typical published print populations like 10M).  There are still many coin collectors who don't understand the importance of "original" or "EPQ."

Although there was indeed some true "trophy notes" (in my mind: higher graded EPQ low # 1935 French, the EEP good-over) there were a lot with no original designation that seemed to peak for a "king's ransom." 

I hope I can make it to the RCNA show next month.  Anyone attending?
-I'm going 1st day

I completed one more article on design of the Canadian bank notes which got published in the CPMS Journal.

Congrats "Rupiah"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:33:02 am by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length