Poll

How has your interests in collecting Canadian Paper Money changed in the past year?

I am colecting less than I use to
I am collecting the same as I use to
I am collecting more than I use to
I am collecting different banknotes than I use to
I have completely stopped collecting
Author
Topic: Collecting Canadian Paper Money ...  (Read 12896 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: October 30, 2018, 01:43:34 pm »

Since the forum has been re-born I find that there has not been a lot of things going on.  I am not sure if it is because many of the old members have not come back or has the idea of collecting banknotes become somewhat stagnant over the past few years.
I hope everyone can take a minute to answer the poll and also it would be great for members to put in their two cents as to why they answered the way they did....Thanks for you input...

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 01:46:45 pm »

Personally I have been collecting more than I use to and perhaps the main reason being is that I seem to be getting better notes for better prices..

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:01:38 pm »

I answered "more" but that's primarily because I get the same impression as you "FS."  It seems to me that fewer collectors are participating in this forum, in shows, and what have you. However, that may be my biased perspective (as I do have a lot more time on my hands) & have only recently been trying to acquire and work on missing gaps in my collection. What I find is a strange mix of phenomena: 

For one: it appears as if its next to impossible to get older/higher graded notes particularly from auctions at or near BV (most of it is way over). I feel this is due to a hot US market and US collectors raiding our older CDN stuff.  this is a drag for me as its the area I need to address (& fill in some gaps).

And second: for newer special numbers (radars & repeaters, etc) its easy to get high grade material for decent prices online especially.  I've also found very reasonable sales on World notes.     

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 07:33:32 pm »

If you want to see the ongoing poll results please
Vote
It only takes a few seconds

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 11:13:56 am »

Since the forum has been re-born I find that there has not been a lot of things going on.  I am not sure if it is because many of the old members have not come back or has the idea of collecting banknotes become somewhat stagnant over the past few years.
I hope everyone can take a minute to answer the poll and also it would be great for members to put in their two cents as to why they answered the way they did....Thanks for you input...

I think part of the issue is that we have not yet done any marketing efforts or sent any e-mail announcements since the forum has been back online.  The reason for this is that some very interesting new features are currently under development and we would like to wait until everything is released and the main page revamped before announcing ourselves to the world.

Clearly there is a lot of interest in Canadian paper money even if it's not necessarily coming from the same places as it was before.  Just look at auction results as wttw has pointed out.

I think that some of the upcoming features of the site will go a long way towards further nurturing and promoting interest in this hobby.  If I personally haven't posted very much as administrator it is because I have been working very eagerly on the next upgrade of the site!

Just a little more patience...
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 11:53:02 am »

Hopefully no one took my comments
As being negative in any way shape or form
Personally I am glad the forum is back
As it has always been a great place to learn
About new things in the hobby
And hopefully gets new members over time
I look forward to any new changes and
Again would like to thank those responsible
For getting the forum back up and running
Friedsquid

gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 05:15:28 pm »

FS are you taking over this site? I was at the Nuphilex show in Montreal today. It was pretty busy but I have seen this show a lot busier. I have stopped collecting as I am now retired.

Denis

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 05:22:53 pm »

FS are you taking over this site? I was at the Nuphilex show in Montreal today. It was pretty busy but I have seen this show a lot busier. I have stopped collecting as I am now retired.

Denis

No Denis I am not taking over this site
Nor am I in any way connected to the
Individual(s) that have brought the site back
I just hope to be a long time member
That can share and learn any new
Information on the hobby
And by the way nice to see you back
And hope your retirement is pleasurable
Friedsquid

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 12:56:06 pm »

I am collecting far less than I used to since most of the special serial #s and replacements are out of my budget.

The only thing I have set aside from circulation over the past few years are new series (one of each denomination) and commemorative notes (one of each prefix). 

I haven't purchased a Canadian banknote for my collection from a dealer or auction in a very long time.

With the new vertical $10 hitting the streets in a few weeks the fun will begin again!

AZ
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 12:22:41 pm »

The activity on the forum slowed down to a crawl way before the forum and the database were taken offline for a few months. I am not sure what is going on, perhaps it is several reasons. With the introduction of polymer notes the number of new varieties is smaller. Quality control is implemented properly and errors are almost impossible to find. There are no more replacements of any kind either, and fewer and fewer collectors are bricking these days. Even young collectors who used to be active on the forum seem to have disappeared.

Judging by these observations, I cannot say if paper money collecting in Canada in general is in decline.  The new $10 will spark the interest for a few weeks, but I am afraid it will not last long.

The SNDB, on the other hand, is still very popular, and I suspect that many members (myself included) missed it more than the forum.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:35 pm »

Buying less than a few years ago, due to the fact that I have become much pickier in what I buy. Also because several auctions sites are no longer predominantly auction or have high starting price.

There are still good notes to be had but gone are the days where catalog prices had trouble keeping up with valuation. My purchases are made with a longer time frame before I can comfortably bring this back on the market and the realization that the banknote may depreciate in value.

KC's Canadian Currency
Beatrix
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 02:55:06 am »

I'm a strange one - I have no interest in purchasing bills from others to add to my collection. I prefer to just see what I can get in circulation, the thrill of the hunt. With one special exception, all the bills in my collection are bills I have either found completely on my own, or in the case of most older bills I own, found by friendly bank tellers who saved them just for me.

I'm not out to make a profit, which also means I am also not a big stickler on condition - if I find a cool number but it has a crease, I'm still quite happy about it. So for me, I am doing a lot more than I used to, because I go through more quantity than I have in the past, but I know my experience is unique.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:57:15 am by Beatrix »
dasche
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 09:36:31 am »

Over the last year I have collected fewer notes than in previous years. However, this is more to do with the fact that I have managed to fill in most of the easily acquired notes for my collection type and am now left with the more difficult/costly gaps. I'm still in it though!

h2os
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 12:06:08 am »

I am collecting more paper money than before;
- interest has changed slightly from coins to paper
- there are new changes to paper money quite frequently
- i like looking for the radar's, low numbers etc. thanks
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 02:09:16 pm »

I'm still collecting, but I'm looking for fewer, higher quality items these days.  I keep hunting the banks for circulation finds at FV to keep my collecting bug satisfied.

Dean

Login with username, password and session length