Author
Topic: Suggestion for a Future Banknote Series?  (Read 6252 times)
Channaford
« on: August 18, 2005, 10:06:32 pm »

Just thought of a very neat idea for Canada's next new series of banknotes...

In 2017, our country will be celebrating its 150th birthday - a major milestone event!  So, with that in mind, may I suggest a new banknote series celebrating our country's sesquincentennial?  By then, or at least a year before the milestone event, we should be due for a new series of banknotes.

I welcome your input.

- Cathy -
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 10:08:53 pm by Channaford »
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 12:40:04 am »

That's a tough one...13 provinces/territories will celebrate "Canada 150", but only 5 denominations are available.  It would be nice to have themes in recognition of each province.

Maybe the Bank of Canada could, just this once, borrow the Royal Canadian Mint's idea, and let Canadian artists submit their ideas so that one winning design would be picked for each denomination.

Landmarks of Canada, Wildlife of Canada or Festivals of Canada seem like good subject matters...

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 02:14:33 pm »

I think "Canadian Heritage" should be the next theme of the notes. The notes should retain the potraits on the front, and on the back, there will be a series of Canadian Heritage throughout the ages. The $5 shall feature Canadian Heritage from hundreds of years ago, depicting the First Nations, then progressively working up to the $100, showing the "new" Canadian heritage, where multiculturalism is the new face of Canada.

Just a thought.

I think the next series MUST be polymer.
Channaford
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 03:44:04 pm »

And, I must agree, that when Canada celebrates its 150th birthday in 2017, there should be a new note unveiled on the Wednesday before or after Canada Day, since the milestone July 1, 2017 event will fall on a Saturday.  

BTW, I have a perpetual calendar at home.

- Cathy -
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:44:42 pm by Channaford »
Roberto
  • cpms 1223
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:08:49 pm »

Tuktoyaktuk lobbies for place on commemorative $100 bill

Some residents of Tuktoyaktuk want to see the highway connecting their town to the south on a $100 bill commemorating Canada's 150th birthday.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/tuktoyaktuk-lobbies-for-place-on-commemorative-dollar100-bill/ar-BBj9Hat
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/tuktoyaktuk-lobbies-for-place-on-commemorative-bill-1.3059463
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 06:16:06 pm »

Glad to see this correction:

This article previously stated that a commemorative $100 bill will be issued to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation. The Bank of Canada will be issuing a commemorative bill, however, the denomination has not yet been announced.

Would make much more sense to have a $150.00 note. Whatever the denomination, I'm pretty sure I won't keep one though. Those 1967 $1 notes haven't appreciated much in nearly 50 years :(

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 11:00:26 pm »

Tuktoyaktuk lobbies for place on commemorative $100 bill

Some residents of Tuktoyaktuk want to see the highway connecting their town to the south on a $100 bill commemorating Canada's 150th birthday.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/tuktoyaktuk-lobbies-for-place-on-commemorative-dollar100-bill/ar-BBj9Hat
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/tuktoyaktuk-lobbies-for-place-on-commemorative-bill-1.3059463

OMG! This so reminds me of a Monty Python sketch commemorating the opening of a new mailbox.  Has anyone here actually driven on the Dempster Highway up to Inuvik?  It's just not something that has visual appeal.  There is slightly more scenery than the journey on the Desert Bus, and the Dempster is a winding unpaved road.  The enjoyment of such a road is purely in its symbolism.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:05:15 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length