Poll

Did you use the PayPal/eBay coupons in the General Forum?

Yes
10 (34.5%)
No
15 (51.7%)
Don't have a paypal account
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author
Topic: PayPal Coupons  (Read 18600 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: December 08, 2005, 05:38:27 pm »

Let us know whether or not you had the opportunity to use any of the eBay/PayPal coupons that were posted recently in the General forum.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:32:11 am »

This poll thing has really slid into this sort of question?

Time to dump the poll part or change the rules.

Rick
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 03:53:14 am »

I'm not following. :-? Could you elaborate please on your above comments? :-/

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:59:54 am »

Since the opening of polls is limited to a select few, and this is a paper money site, Paypal coupons have nothing whatever to do with paper money. Why not ask if the reader has a Visa card (which can also be used to purchase paper).

Brent, as you are one that enforces rules and expresses your opinion on items as written, and started this poll, don't you feel it is off topic?

Rick
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:05:49 pm »

Allow me first to clarify that the poll was created on request from another member whose name I just cannot recall at this moment. I think it may be one of a couple people, but I can't remember for sure, so I won't say. I would have to scour my chat logs to find out.

I do not believe that this poll is too far off topic, because someone posted a short while ago the PayPal coupons to which the poll refers, and they were believed to be useful to our members. The poll's presumed purpose is for the original author to guage whether or not it might be worth his or her time to seek out future PayPal coupons and post them here for the benefit of our members. I'm not sure where your point about polls being limited to only a few people comes in.

With regards to whether or not people use a Visa card, I think you may be creating a somewhat unrelated example.

I hope that this serves to answer your questions, and I would welcome any further discussion you may have on the subject.

Edit:
After I wrote the above, I noticed a PM from Martin reminding me that he was the one who asked for this poll to be created. He says that you can contact him by PM if you would like to discuss it.

Thank you, Martin, for your message.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 02:15:13 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:08:32 pm »

Good reply, Paypal coupons have got nothing whatever to do with paper money in general or in particular.
Why not ask if anyone pays for something on ebay with Canadian Tire Coupons, instead of Paypal?

Brent, you are the first one to delete posts that are not related to paper money, so follow your rules and delete this whole piece of unrelated stuff.

Rick
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 11:34:35 pm »

I apologize if you misunderstood my post, but I did re-read it twice before posting, and I just re-read it again now, and I think it adequately and clearly explains why I believed it was sufficiently on-topic. Is there a way I can help you better understand my post, or perhaps how I can better understand your position?

(And just to be clear, there are rarely any posts that I find off-topic enough to delete, excluding those which are of a SPAM nature)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 05:50:10 pm »

I think Paypal coupons are relevant to paper money collecting because they can be very helpful in getting some of the younger collectors off the ground in their collecting.  They help make things more affordable.  So for budding collectors, where money is sometimes tight, I think this is very valuable.  

And of course, responding to the poll is at your option, so anyone who does not want to participate does not have to.

Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 08:35:25 pm »

I love these coupons. They save money. Why not have a discussion about them? The more people aware of them the better for the hobby. Collectors save and dealers/sellers do not suffer any loss. Ebay writes off the cost as a promotion. Everyone is happy.
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 09:24:39 pm »

I couldn't agree more!!! If I can save up to 15% on a note that I'd like to add to my collection, I wanna hear all about it. I can't wait for the next coupons because it just gives me an excuse to add to my collection.  8-)

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 10:45:44 pm »

Thank you all for your opinions. I must say that it seems like this post would very much so be "on-topic".

Of course if anyone would like to offer another opinion, I would be more than willing to take the time to discuss it with you.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 04:34:08 pm »

If I had known about these PayPal coupons I could have used them on some recent purchases from ebay. I can only hope that whoever knows of future discount codes, that they will be kind enough to post them on the Forum, just as the previous ones. As Hudson said last month they saved him roughly 60.00 on his purchases......a pretty decent incentive!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 09:46:22 pm »

The reason this thread is up here is to help us all save money for when we buy stuff on ebay.
Last year around Christmas, I saved close to $60-80 by using them.  They are strictly a resource for us members and anyone who like to save a few bucks.

It has nothing to do with a banknote at all.

On that note, anyone have any new paypal coupon codes they would like to share?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:48:12 pm by hudsonab »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 09:59:34 pm »

Haven't seen any since April, and I missed those ones.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 11:04:27 pm »

Where do you find these coupons??  :-?
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 06:35:30 am »

Not sure, they just showed up here last year. Someone who uses paypalcan access them somehow.. you get an access code and input it, and the voila- discount! If anyone has paypal access and can find some, please let us know!

-- okay just found this: it explains more about it.
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext&eloc=3221&loc=3216&unique_id=71211&source_page=_help-ext&flow=
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 06:42:31 am by hudsonab »

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 08:35:03 am »

Has anyone recieved paypal coupons lately.  I remember last year someone recieved them but non since.

Polarbear

Login with username, password and session length