Author
Topic: Latest CPMS Newsletter.  (Read 4843 times)
Rusty
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:14:37 pm »

Excellent article on the 1954 series missing plate numbers. Kudos to BWJM, Oli. and whomever else had input.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:56:45 pm »

I really enjoyed the article as well but were the $1 notes the only notes effected?

I remember a forum member asking why there was no back plate # on his 1954 $5 note in a post a couple years ago.

Good work Hudson, Oliver and Brent

Gary_T
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:07:50 pm »

It is very interesting, and it would be nice to know how many people have spotted notes like these (esp replacements vs regular notes).  Be careful with the FPN #11 as its very hard to discern (often blends in with the microprinting)!

The Devil Faces FPN are moved in laterally on some prefixes ($5 denominations).  I think there's still a bit of info that can be researched re: plate numbering.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:10:01 pm by walktothewater »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 04:30:08 pm »

To the best of my knowledge, only $1 notes are part of this variety.

James has a very valid point: the FPN "11" is extremely difficult to read with the naked eye. I can usually read it, but I have to look at it carefully. I usually cheat and pull out my loupe.

The back plate numbers on many 1954 notes are blended into the design very tightly and are thus very difficult to read, even if you know where to look.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length