Author
Topic: 1989 $10 Possible Test Note  (Read 5350 times)
multicolorama
  • Member since January 2007
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:07:09 pm »

Hey everyone. I found a possible test note and maybe no one on the forum has seen or heard of this note. It has the word SPECIMEN printed in a different stamping than normal SPECIMEN notes as seen in the image. It also has an OSD from a $20. The serial # is ADX 3914152 and its in GEM UNC. So then it would be a replacement and test note! This is off of ebay and its a live auction. Bidding starts at $750.00 CAD. If you cant find the site PM me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 09:34:31 pm »

The note is not a confirmed test note to the best of my knowledge. Informal comments with an unnamed, but reputable source from the BoC Currency Museum indicate that this may be some kind of back door job or aftermarket creation, considering that ADX notes were legitimately printed, and that the SPECIMEN stamp and the OSD (different font!) are both elements that can be ADDED to the note.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 11:44:41 pm »

It looks like a fake for me...It's not normal to put an OSD for a denomination on an different denomination, notwithstanding the fact it is on a replacement note...

I would be curious to see if the OSD shows a change of colour as you tilt the note...Normally, a faked OSD doesn't shows any change of colour...

Login with username, password and session length