Author
Topic: BC-38b 1954 $2 Beattie-Rasminsky - F/R Prefix - TEST NOTE ???  (Read 7955 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100

In reviewing the lots in the upcoming July 2007 CNA Auction, I came across the following lot:

Lot 684: BC-38b 1954 $2 Beattie-Rasminski F/R6461016 Original choice uncirculated. Believed to be a very rare prefix. Possibly a TEST NOTE.

Start Price: CAD $250
Estimate: CAD $500 - $1,000

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has heard any discussions about the F/R prefix being a possible
test note or is this just hype on the part of the dealer conducting the auction ?

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 06:59:47 pm »

I received this email today from a respected paper money collector, in reference to my posting:

I saw your post about the F/R prefix $2 being presented in auction as a possible test note.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to look at notes in the Bank of Canada vault in Ottawa.  I asked to see their S/R test notes.  It was interesting to see they had reported that 36 tests had been done before moving on to the multi-colour series.  More interesting was that the first S/R test was #5.  My question about the earlier four tests could not (would not) be answered.  I knew about the G/R's back then and when it became public knowledge, there seemed to be four tests.  End of story?  Then the G/R's were refined to three tests which created a missing test.  As you know, recently the E/R test surfaced and I concluded that this was the missing test.

Therefore I do not think F/R or any other $2's will be uncovered as test notes.

This is my hypothesis only.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
AL-Bob
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 04:57:19 pm »

From the CNA auction. F/R6461016. They say: "Believed to be a very rare prefix. Possibly a TEST NOTE."  Starting bid $250. Estimate $500-$1000.

Has anyone heard of an F/R testnotes or are they just speculating based on E/R and G/R findings?  I got my F/R just a couple months ago for only $15 or so... It can't be that rare!

Also another listing caught my attention:  "BC-37d 1954 $1 "Crossover" V/F9140281 Choice Unc. Believed to be very scarce and underrated in book value." Estimate $150-$200.  I've seen a bunch of these sold over the last year or so, all around $75 - $90.

Am I missing something or were they just smoking too many old Dominion notes down there...?

-- Al

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:18:05 pm »

After reading Believed and Possibly in the item description I just moved on..
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:43:23 am »

I saw your post about the F/R prefix $2 being presented in auction as a possible test note.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to look at notes in the Bank of Canada vault in Ottawa.  I asked to see their S/R test notes.  It was interesting to see they had reported that 36 tests had been done before moving on to the multi-colour series.  More interesting was that the first S/R test was #5.  My question about the earlier four tests could not (would not) be answered.  I knew about the G/R's back then and when it became public knowledge, there seemed to be four tests.  End of story?  Then the G/R's were refined to three tests which created a missing test.  As you know, recently the E/R test surfaced and I concluded that this was the missing test.

Therefore I do not think F/R or any other $2's will be uncovered as test notes.

This is my hypothesis only.

This math works if we count the three ranges of G/R test notes as three separate tests.  Is there any evidence to support this?  I would wonder if the three ranges of G/R test notes were in fact one test, which would leave two missing tests. 

Login with username, password and session length