Poll

How many hours a week do you spend with the paper money Hobby?

0-5       Hours
6 (23.1%)
5-10     Hours
9 (34.6%)
10-20   Hours
7 (26.9%)
20-40   Hours
2 (7.7%)
40-60   Hours
2 (7.7%)
60 Hours or More!!!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 23, 2007, 04:10:47 am

Author
Topic: A Hobby Or A Job?  (Read 10354 times)
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« on: June 22, 2007, 04:10:47 am »

How many hours do you spend with your paper money hobby? Is it more than your fulltime job or is collecting your fulltime job! Thanks to all that voted and I think we will be surprised by the time people put in to this GREAT hobby!!! 8)

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:13:08 am »

For me it's not my full time job. Though between searching, trading, ebay, the shows and auctions I would venture I spend at least 10 hours a week sometimes more if there is a big show like Torex.

I guess I would not be doing it if I did not enjoy it.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:16:57 pm »

Yea, me too...

It is not my full time but it sure takes a great deal of time in the big picture.

Between Posting, Articles, Brick Searching, EBay and helping fellow collectors I spend about 20 hours a week... (More then I probably should...)  :-[

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
bwho9d
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 09:16:54 pm »

Hobby.

Got school work, too. Parents get upset if I spend too much time on paper money stuff.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:47:40 am by Neon Zidane »
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 07:19:21 pm »

I consider this as a hobby first AND a long term investment. It is definitely more fun than watching what little money I have just sitting a savings account so I collect my way to save for the long term. My Wife is surprised my collection had appreciated over the years and doesn’t mind me using our credit to borrow a brick or two on a monthly basis. And if I sell a great find, or no-so-great-find then it helps pay for the hobby.

Dei Gratia,

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
50monarch
  • Every note gets me one step closer to Cayman
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 07:16:37 pm »

I'll echo Punky's Dad's comments.  It is a hobby and a long-term investment.  It can be an expensive one for sure.  It can definitely consume a person too. 

I drive my wife and my co-workers nuts by searching their banknotes before they buy stuff and after they receive change...

I freak out people by looking at their banknote just before they pay for something and say..."No, that one is OK to spend"...only to hear "What's wrong...is it counterfeit?"  I have to explain that I collect currency...

I can't wait to get fresh banknotes from the ATM or the bank...

I use large denominations of banknotes such that I can get other banknotes in my change...

It's neither a Hobby nor a Job...it's a Disease... ;)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 08:17:41 pm »

It's neither a Hobby nor a Job...it's a Disease...

The word disease is disturbing because that is something you supposedly get from handling dirty money, as we all know from current news articles.

I believe it is more of an obsession! ???

"a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea"
And what is that idea? To have the ultimate set, the 1 of only 6 known of a note, the perfect unc $50 Ozzy, or that one of a kind insert that no one else confirms but you and only you know what it is.

We all have our desires and goals, and some of us know we will never achieve them but we try waiting for that miracle to happen. 

Do you check the trading post 10 times a day?  Do you use your kids lunch money to buy a note? Do you forget to pick them up at a soccer game because you wanted to put a last minute bid in on ebay? Do you say your going to a business meeting and spend the day at Torex? Well is that obsessive? In my opinion NO.
But according to Webster it is? But who the heck is he anyways ??? ??? ???

Some guy obsessed with words ;D

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 08:25:49 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
m_samourai
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 07:29:52 pm »

Nice closing comment Squid!!

Hobby for me, that I'm new to (except for always having a few '54 and multi-colour bills put away that came my way through circulation).  Certainly has me in it's grip for now, and am thoroughly enjoying my collection, and the contemplation of what to buy next.  I think it CAN be a good investment in the long run, and at the very least we are putting money aside in a form that we can enjoy.  Hell, most other purchases depreciate rather quickly when you think about it.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 12:34:56 pm »

I spend far too much time on numismatics each week. That includes my job as trends editor, CAND President and operating a major show in Hamilton.

Rick
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 02:11:24 am »

I freak out people by looking at their banknote just before they pay for something and say..."No, that one is OK to spend"...only to hear "What's wrong...is it counterfeit?" 

I can relate to this exactly ::). This happens to me on a daily basis :-[ :-\.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 08:11:44 am »

I think it has finally gotten to the point where I need a REAL job to support this hobby 8)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 09:07:06 am »

It started out as a hobby going though all my change and once in a while when I got some from my family or friends, when I would let them know what to look for now thats the hobby part.

The job part is then I went from circulated notes to uncirculated thats when a second job is need to keep up my thirst to have better than what I have allready have. I`ve gone from finding what I was misssing to going though bricks and saving "hoarding" what I find.  :P
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 05:34:06 pm »

I think for me that this is more a hobby mainly because i am still in school and i spend alot of time on homework but the time i am not doing homework is when i am looking for up coming shows,auctions and stuff like that.

I usually spend about 10-20 hours a week on paper money.

Login with username, password and session length