Author
Topic: Halifax Banking Company  (Read 6118 times)
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: November 03, 2007, 03:49:52 am »

Hello, friends:    As  you  can  see,  my  image  collection  is  now working into  the H's;  I calculate I am about a third of the way through this project and will need  about  a  year  to  finish it. 
                 I  do  need  some  information  about  The  Halifax  Banking  Company.  With  reference  to  the  1882-1880-type  $4 note:  I  have  nice  images  of  both  obverses,  but  I  need an image of the common  reverse.
           There  is mention of an 1880  $10  note, of which I have not found an image;  was  this  note  actually issued?   Did  it  differ  significantly  from  the
1872-1880  type??
              My catalogue says there were 1887 $5's in both green tint and red tint, but I find no image anywhere of any issued note.   Were  these in fact circulated?
Does anybody have one of which I could get  images?
                 Did  the 1890 $20  and the 1894 $5  notes actually circulate?  I  also need images of fronts and  backs  of  both;  I  also need  the  1898  $20. 
                It  appears  that some of you have wondered why don't  I "just buy a (Charlton) catalogue."  What I am trying to assemble is a collection  of full-size full-color  images  of both fronts and  backs of chartered bank notes which actually circulated.   Catalogue pictures are usually very small,  not in color, and usually not showing  the reverses.   Furthermore  all the discretionary funds which I am able to dedicate to this project are being spent on ink jets  ($7 apiece).    After I eventually complete this "collection"  I  am thinking of  perhaps  putting all  these  image albums  (US  large and small, 3 volumes, and  Canada  government and chartered,  4 volumes)  on  discs  (my  daughters  will  have to show me how to do this),  and I have already  mentioned this to one of your forum members.
              I was able  to  locate  a really  nice image  of  The  Molson Bank 1871  $7  obverse. 
              Once  again,  my  continuing  thanks to  those  of  you  who have  contributed  images  and info to  my project  in  the  past  and  hopefully also  in  the  future.   Next week:  a  few questions about  The Bank  of Hamilton  (a  town  in  which I  once  stayed  overnight).                                 Bernard Schaaf 

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:27:42 am »

Dear Bernard

I believe you are referencing the 1872-1880 $4. The 1872 $4 has been in circulation as there are only institutional examples left in the collecting world. As far as the 1880 goes the latest book report “no known issues notes”, perhaps some exist out there but for the moment specimens and proofs are all you will find.

As for the 1880 $10 it is listed “institutional collection ” with no mention of being any different than the 1872.

I do not have any images of the 1872 notes nor does the Currency Museum.

Here are some from the 1880.
1880 $10 dated October 1st printed by the American Banknote Company
http://www.currencymuseum.ca/eng/collection/view.php?objectid=1963.0053.00008.000

1880 $10 dated July 1st printed by the American Banknote Company
http://www.currencymuseum.ca/eng/collection/view.php?objectid=1972.0126.00007.000

1880 $4 printed by the American Banknote Company
http://www.currencymuseum.ca/eng/collection/view.php?objectid=1972.0031.00001.000

As for the 1887 $5 there are now 3 distinct categories, the green tint, blue tint and red tint. Both the green and red tint have know circulated copied in Good and VG while the blue tint has “no known issues notes” but can be found in proofs.

This is the only image the museum has on this issue. Perhaps someone can add to this
http://www.currencymuseum.ca/eng/collection/view.php?objectid=1969.0154.00002.000

To answer your question, yes the 1890 $20 and the 1894 $5 have been known to circulate with. The $20 only resides in institutional collection while the $5 is known in Good and VG. No images available on the museum.

KC's Canadian Currency
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 08:21:43 pm »

Dear Kid KC:      Thank you for the info.                    Bernard
Kennydee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24:18 am »

Hello Bernard,  I just recently found a 1887 $5 in red tint in an old shoe box that belonged to my Father (he passed away 9 years ago). The box is filled with old negatives that I wanted to scan. Let me know if you still need a picture of it.
Best regards,
Dan

Login with username, password and session length