Author
Topic: Chinese Counterfeits  (Read 5990 times)
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:15:33 pm »

I know this is a paper money site, but these photos are crazy, and I just have to share them with everyone.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=642268

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:17:13 pm »

Wow now that's scary, I watched a documentary program on how fake works of art were made so well that they even fooled most museum curators and professional dealers in antiquities. I'm particularly fond acquiring the Former German Caledonia Bird of Paradise coin sometime in the future and I can see the die right there too. Gasp :o. I last remember seeing them selling around $450US for a Vf grade. Just makes you wonder when this will start happening to old collectible banknotes sooner if not later.

Dei Gratia

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:55:16 pm »

I think it's just a matter of time before Chinese forgers can make excellent examples of older Canadian notes, especially for some higher end notes.   Eventually, they will figure out the paper composition of older notes, the ink colours, and the paper processing, etc... there are a lot of professional artists, etc.   For example, I am sure there are other people like J.S.G Boggs in China:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._S._G._Boggs

Money drives this type of business.  I was watching a National Geographic Documentary, "Faking China".   One show talked about counterfeit antique porcelain where forgers were able to deceive even porcelain experts from Sotheby's and Christie's auction houses.   These forgers were able to use carbon testing analysis, exact composition of the clay materials in the porcelain, old dye staining methods, and then, used x-ray to change the carbon dating...   (just like PD was talking about.)

For older Canadian coins with high value, there are some fakes on eBay, and some get caught, other's end up in collections where the "average" collector does not know they have a fake in their possession,  it's buyer beware.   Anyhow, forger and counterfeiters will learn from these mistakes and will continue to strive to make the perfect fake!   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 05:00:51 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D

Login with username, password and session length