Author
Topic: value of a 25 cent note..dated 1810?  (Read 8362 times)
Laurieny49
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:14:18 pm »

Hello, I am new to your site and forum, and have read with fascination the strings about the early 25 cent note. 

I have a 25 cent note that is quite wrinkled, but I think is in okay condition.  It  has all of its corners and edges, with only one slight rip on one edge, which is not impinging on the image. 

The note says "British and American Banknote by (?) Montreal & Ottawa" and I swear it is dated March__,1810.  It is signed by W. Dickinson and T.D. Harington.
(yes, only one R) There are no series numbers.

It has a helmeted female bust in the center--I assume perhaps Britannica? The back has a green engraving and some words I can't quite read--looks as though it says ..on presentation Montreal Toronto or ...St Joe...?

So of course, the question is...do I have a gem, or just an ordinary curiosity?

I know you want a scan...I will try that next.  Thanks in advance!
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:39:37 am »

Sounds like an 1870 25 cent note. Yes a scan would help.

A letter 'A' between the signature Dickinson and the date 1870 on the left side of the note would make it a scarcer variety.

Does it look like this?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:44:09 am by Gary_T »

Gary_T
Laurieny49
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:17:23 pm »

Hi Gary,

Thank-you so much for answering my question, and for posting your picture.  I have scanned my bill, and have tried (I kid you not!) to answer you three times since you posted your reply...and each time, I have crashed my machine!

I think my bill would be rated "very good",  judging by a grading system definition I found on a website called "thecurrencyhouse".  So: note is worn, has a slight tear but not interfering on the border or design--the edges are actually a little ragged, but I wouldn't consider them  torn as much as just toothy...there are some small pinholes to the left of the central image.  Some light showing through the vertical crease.  So have I got the condition grade right? My letter is a "B" alas, not an A.

Any value, or just a garden variety bill?

Thanks in advance, Laurie

[attachment deleted by admin]
Laurieny49
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:21:53 pm »

Hi,

I just looked at my uploaded picture again, and I just want to clarify that the bill is really wrinkled.  I have been hesitant to flatten it much at all.  So what looks like ripped corners, etc, are really just smooshed edges from the crumples. 
Make sense?

:)

My picture isn't as nice as yours!
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:59:22 pm »

Your note would sell on ebay for between $25 - $35. The picture I posted is not my note  it was from ebay but I do have few.

Gary_T
Laurieny49
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 11:06:50 am »

While it won't make me rich...sure better than a poke in the eye, eh?
Thank-you so much.  Laurie

Login with username, password and session length