Selling more than usual
8 (9.3%)
Selling less than usual
10 (11.6%)
Stopped selling completely
6 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author
Topic: Has your buying/selling of Canada banknotes changed in the past 6 months?  (Read 22068 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

After having spoken to many collectors and dealers it seems that in the last 6 months the buying and selling habits of collectors have changed. Whatever the reasons....the economy, the lack of quality notes available, the lack of buyers willing to spend their hard earned cash, or the wife's constant nagging to stop buying notes .....I'm curious.
I have allowed each member to vote twice, hopefully one vote for the buying and one vote for the selling options.  If only one applies, please just vote once.
Any additional comments/remarks are apppreciated.
Thanks
FRIEDSQUID

Just wondering
 if you are you are selling more is it because you need cash????
 if you are buying more is it because there are more deals right now???
 if you are not selling, is it because your not getting the prices you believe you should  be getting?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:25:03 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
FogDevil

I'd say people have ceased buying or selling currency items - especially in recent weeks when the U.S. is in a financial credit crisis that could impact Canada's economy in the near future if the U.S. Government doesn't act fast.
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!

Collectors never cease activity (well, one reason will cause that to happen).
Hard money may mean tougher decisions but those who can endure a bit of pain will certainly benefit in the long run.
Check your 1991 Charton catalogue prices. Money was hard for a spell around that year. I was fortunate  (and hopefully a bit smart ) to have purchased a large part of my collection then and in the couple years of recovery that followed, which were made more difficult by the financial policies of the finance minister of the time. Money was indeed tight.
Bank notes have proven to be a sage investment since then.
Carry on a best you can but don't stop. You will regret it..
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind

I definitely agree with Alvin's position about still buying in todays market :). However two answers I felt you should have included in this poll were: "are you still buying the same" and "are your still selling the same"......as these answers definitely apply to me. Are any other members still following their usual patterns at all ???.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:25:30 am by nova7415 »
hanmer

Completed a move (mostly) last week. Haven't been very active over the last few months as a result. My intention is to purchase more in the coming months. I will not be selling anything for a while though.

:)

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

This post has been viewed over 300 times, yet only 19 members bothered to take the few seconds it takes to answer the poll.
I'm sure the question has some relevence to more than 19 people.
Come on now...  ;D

We don't use call display ;D

StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..

Eh, my habits have stayed almost exactly the same.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place

Selling more is it because I need cash to Buy more notes. Gotta run, It gets a wee bit drafty wearing a kilt in dis weather mon.

Dei Gratia

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!

Not buying more or buying less, stay the same ---> buying privately, and the most recent one was a 1937 $20 in C UNC from Robert

Yuman
woodguy62
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 06:56:11 pm »

Buying less. The difference in the Can/Us dollar is effecting me. Buy most of my notes on ebay, the exchange puts me out of the running on most notes. I will only spend X amount on any given note.
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:39 pm »

Collectors never cease activity (well, one reason will cause that to happen).
Hard money may mean tougher decisions but those who can endure a bit of pain will certainly benefit in the long run.
Check your 1991 Charton catalogue prices. Money was hard for a spell around that year. I was fortunate  (and hopefully a bit smart ) to have purchased a large part of my collection then and in the couple years of recovery that followed, which were made more difficult by the financial policies of the finance minister of the time. Money was indeed tight.
Bank notes have proven to be a sage investment since then.
Carry on a best you can but don't stop. You will regret it..

I agree. You gotta be able to fade the market. I have bought notes that are going for half the book value at some places/auctions, and likewise, I have been able to sell notes at 70-80% book price only so I could buy more cheap stuff from people desperate to free up some cash. As long as they paid near face value for a $100 note they got 10-15 years ago, they'll get rid of it for a little profit, even if it's $50 below book price.

I just hope I don't regret selling what I'm selling right now.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

just wanted to bump this up since the start of post was a while back but the market has changed

johnny99

My buying habits have increased primarily due to "the more I have, the more I want".
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659

When this poll first came out I checked off "Buying less than usual" But know I am buying more. Because I find nobody is paying what they used to, so there are more deals.

hanmer

Buying more notes, mostly from here recently. Exchange rate makes many notes too expensive on our favorite auction site, and the quality of product always good.

Another member indicated that they did well in the early 90's. I'm trying to do the same now.

Login with username, password and session length