Author
Topic: 1954 1 Dollar (Mod) FPN - No FPN. How can you tell?  (Read 11867 times)
gonkman
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:48:21 pm »

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you could tell me how you determine if a 1 Dollar 1954 has an FPN or Not.

I have a couple bills that list in Charlton with "No FPN" and "FPN" with different prices.  I have the prefix but I have no Idea on how to tell if there is a "Front Plate Number"

Can't think of the prefix right now as I am at work but there are only a few Modified 1954 1 Dollars that Charlton lists with the "FPN" "No-FPN" in the descriptions.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:26:56 pm »

This occurs in the *B/M prefix. Some were printed with a FPN and others with No FPN. The No FPN *B/M appears much scarcer as it is trending at a higher price. Like "gonkman" i can't seem to tell either where to look. Anyone have the two examples in *B/M and or the changeover point?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:31:28 pm »

I will post a good high-res photo when I get home late tonight. I tried to remotely access my computer at home, but had some difficulty (router must not be working properly).

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 05:06:18 pm »

This occurs in the *B/M prefix. Some were printed with a FPN and others with No FPN. The No FPN *B/M appears much scarcer as it is trending at a higher price. Like "gonkman" i can't seem to tell either where to look. Anyone have the two examples in *B/M and or the changeover point?
This may have been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it if it has..can someone point me to it.
Can the *B/M notes with No FPN be distinguished by a serial number or range of serial numbers.  I have a few but not here so I can't check at this time.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 07:33:44 pm »

The Front Position Number (FPN) on the *B/M should be on the immediate LEFT hand side just above the BANK OF CANADA - BANQUE DE CANADA partially folded banner/border which separates the signature panel from the lighter upper 2/3rd of the note.  It is in the lighter upper panel with the coat of arms above the reverse fold.

The Back Postion Number (BPN) appears on a slight clearing below the prairie design and above the lower border.  It is usually placed just right of the nearest telephone pole (in the image) or to the left and above the "B" of BANK OF CANADA.

Hope this helps.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:54:37 pm »

Check this out:

[attachment deleted by admin]

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 12:56:09 pm »

Great Scan BWJM!  :)
I checked all my *B/Ms but they were all with FPN.  :(
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:07:38 pm »

That scan was included in the March 2007 CPMS newsletter, along with a great deal more information, not only on this specific subject, but a variety of other fascinating articles.

If you are not a member of the CPMS, please sign up and you can purchase back issues for a nominal copying fee.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length