Author
Topic: funny stain or smudge on $1000 note  (Read 3709 times)
tmurphy1954
« on: December 01, 2007, 11:42:45 pm »

I have some $1000 notes (in safe deposit box... I think they are 1954...) which are in really good condition, but they have some brownish or yellowish speckles on the margin.
I don't have one in front of me, or I wold scan it, but does anyone know what I am talking about?
Thanks
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 12:06:32 am »

Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

Yes by all means if you can get a picture of the note and post it we could try our best to help you out. Are you meaning the small little round circles amongst the bill or does this look like something that has happened after the printing of the note? Another thing to look at is what they have been stored in!!! Some plastics with PVC are harm full to the paper and will cause definite problems after a length of time. It is worth the money to have the notes placed in proper sleeves that will guarantee the well being of the note for many many years to come. The cheaper sleeves can start to damage your notes quicker then you think. If you get a chance to post I'm sure someone will be able to diagnose the problem more accurately. Again welcome to the forum and there is endless amounts of great info and great members here, just takes some looking and reading.  Good Luck ;D

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Oldbucks
    • Oldbucks Web site
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:05 pm »

Sometimes the notes develop "foxing". It is basically a mold that grows in the paper after it has been in a humid environment. This is also a possibility.

Jeff

"Monstra Mihi Pecuniam" - Member of the Society of Paper Money Collectors - SPMC

Login with username, password and session length