Author
Topic: VF ?  (Read 3889 times)
Art_1_ Paper
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:44:24 am »

Someone's trying to sell me this note. I want it but I don't agree with it's grading. What can I tell the seller without being rude to let him know that he is wrong?

starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 02:28:19 am »

Myself, without seeing the back, I'd be inclined to say a high Fine or a low VF. Just my thoughts.
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:11:10 am »

Looks like a Fine to a Fine + note. It is very important that both you and the seller agree on what should be paid for this note. Especially for a note like this, there is a BIG difference in price between F and VF in other words $2,000 VS $4,500.
It certainly doesn't look VF especially with that major center fold. What to tell the seller?? You tell the seller Sorry, i don't agree with the grade and the price of the note for such reason, i will offer you XX$ for the note. If the seller refuses to negotiate that's his right and then it is your choice to either accept or refuse to buy the note.

Art_1_ Paper
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:56:49 am »

Anyone care to compare this note with the 1935 $2 I posted in the other post side by side?

Someone told me my note was a VG, another told me it was a Fine+. This note I don't even think is an F. Look at the broken top margin and the overall quality. The paper looks to be limp.

Does the grade of a note also depend on how famous its owner it? ;)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:38:19 pm »

Once again, the bottom line is that Grading is still subjective and a buyer and seller can argue or disagree back and forth until your both blue in the face.  If you disagree with the grade and don't feel that the note is worth the asking price ....make an offer you feel is fair and go from there...I am not saying this is the case, but realize that a seller may truly believe the grade is correct, and if this is the case they won't back down.   Personally, I don't feel that spending so much time on soemthing is worthwhile....make an offer...or walk away...you do have a choice :)
It is only natural that a buyer wants a deal by getting the lowest price possible and a seller wants the highest amount of profit possible.....
As for the question, does a note become more valuable depending on who owned it....I guess if Elvis owned it...maybe ;D

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:56:45 pm »

Does the grade of a note also depend on how famous its owner it? ;)

Maybe if you had a COA to legitimize who the previous owner was, then maybe.... Otherwise anything else is just pure speculation and only gullible people would give it additional value.

Login with username, password and session length