Author
Topic: need advice  (Read 3608 times)
pointedobject
« on: December 17, 2006, 11:20:29 am »

Hello, very nice forum here, I am need of some advice.
I have around 500 1 and 2$ dollar bills. They are all in perfect condition,  seem uncirculated to my eyes at least; no folds, crisp and very bright ink. They are pretty much mixed between the different mint dates and the bills themselves and serial numbers have not been examined yet to see if there are any rare ones in the stacks. I need some advice about what to do with these...
It comes down to either - just sit on them for a few more years, or classify them and try to sell them somehow? I guess it's a market question really, how are these bills appreciating? Have the values plateaued in the recent years, or are the values continually rising (both for common bills and rare ones)?
I have been considering classifying, scanning, Chiltoning (can I use that as a verb?) the value of each bill and creating a web site to sell these bills - I make ecommerce sites so no biggie there. I figure I would ask for maybe 1x - 3x the book value (I'm not sure how much) and just slowly sell them, I'm not starving, so I'm not in  a rush.
I'm pretty new at this so any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 01:01:34 pm »

Hi, it depends on what typeof notes they are.  If they are common, asking for above book would probably not ever result in a sale. If they are super rare, then it may be warranted, depending on the demand.  What you need to do is a) buy a latest catalogue book (not that pricey) and find out what you have, and find out the print quantity.  Then get out to shows and talk to people, talk to dealers and maybe even ask a few questions on here ;).  The book is to accuratly depict prices, but things can change, and of course it is not 100% perfect. (It cannot be, since demand is dynamic, but a book is published only once a year).

Hope this helps. All about learning about the demand and what is "hot or not".

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 01:29:16 pm »

As I'm sure you are aware (or you wouldn't be here seeking advice) - Information is power, so to start-- go to the library (or book store) and get your hands on a new Charlton Guide to Canadian paper money (2007). Try to get as much info as you can.

Next, with clean hands, and a lot of care, go through your notes and document their serial numbers/signature combinations, and find out what the estimated catalogue value of each note is.  You want to either keep a spread-sheet, or some kind of charted inventory, and have a few columns available for estimated grade, and book value.  You may want to pick up some mylar currency holders too, so that you can sell your notes individually.  Place the notes carefully in their holders, and organize them so they're easy to keep track.

If you've read any of the forum threads you'll quickly understand how the condition of each note is of primary importance.  A good thing to do (maybe) is to attend a show, or dealer's store, and to take a few of your notes, and try to grade them according to the definitions at the front of your Charlton guide.   (If you're at the store make sure you're not interrupting a sale, and to buy some currency holders-- or something for the dealer's time!)  After some practice (and if the notes truly are high grade) you'll probably see the difference between an UNC note and an AU note, and be able to grade each one.  You should record that grade on your inventory list.   Typically, if you have many common notes, than you may want to offer them in a sequential combination, or as you suggested one at a time (if you're in no rush for the money).  

MANY, many, many Canadians have hordes of $1 and $2 (and more will be found) so you may wish to sell a few of your common notes in sequences in order to clear them.  Even the change-overs, and rarer prefixes are unlikely to sell for the book value you see in the guide-- so don't be too surprised or disapointed when this happens. The book value of a note is a guide intended to indicate the highest price a collector may buy a note if he/she wants that note for his/her collection.  For rarer notes this value may be below the actual price a collector is willing to pay.  

As far as the market goes:  I think a fairly consistent trend is that rare paper money keeps going up while the common stuff stays pretty much the same year after year.  In fact, you'll even see stuff you thought was rare, decrease in price on the market place as collectors get wise to their availability.    

IMO: eBay, and numerous auctions, seem to have impacted the price of notes -- mostly driving the prices down.  Online: you tend to see a high quantity of regular notes auctioned off and the last time I saw the market increase for all notes was back in 2004 when there seemed to be no end in sight of a buying frenzy.  That little peak faded.  At live auctions: you tend to see mostly rare notes -- and they have performed strongly in the past three years.  The problem with live auctions is the added buyer's premiums, taxes, etc that put an extra 15% on top of the hammer price.  

My recommendation to you is to sell them now: especially since you're likely holding onto a lot of common notes with no real significant collector value.  Like most people who discover a horde, estate, or safe find, the large majority of notes were put away with as a stash of cash -- not as collectables.  If they were saved as a "collectible" it is more likely that the person who saved them saved them only because he/she knew that $1 and $2 were going to be an artefact of a past era, since they were being phased out (rather than according to a significant serial numbers/or rare prefixes).  The problem with your venture to sell them on a separate site as a true collectible is that there are a huge abundance of 1973 outstanding $1 and a  massive amount of outstanding 1986 $2.00 so good luck to you!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 01:35:58 pm by walktothewater »

pointedobject
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 10:09:15 pm »

Thanks a lot for the great advice.
I will post back once I go through the notes to let you know if there are any good finds.
Thanks again!

Login with username, password and session length