Author
Topic: Radars - what do you think?  (Read 5076 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:10:46 am »

Okay, I like everyone have actuallybeen to another website other than this one, and it is ebay.

Thisis thread is about the implications/message that is being sent to buyers- this thread is not inteended to be about the integrity of the seller.

Here is the scoop.  
One seller out there is putting radar notes at RIDICULOUS prices. Look and you will see.  Like I mean, go to the coin store and grab one for $15- $20, but there on ebay it is listed at like $150.

What do you think?

a) it is artifically making it look like radars are much more valuable that what we thought?(Could we all be wrong??)
b) this guy really doesn't want to sell them anyway
c) the high prices would near INSTANTLY turn off a starting/future collector because of the PERCIEVED cost, thus removing one more potential collector from our hobby (in the radar area) - in turn damagind the growth potential of the hobby possibly as a whole?

I vote C.

I think the prices are a ridiculous for some- so much so that it appears to be pushing away buyers.. (the same notes have been on ebay for months with no buyers!)

H

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 03:13:04 am by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:19:52 am »

I've noticed this e-bay seller myself, and to be honest the first time I noticed the prices, I thought it was a joke, that was a couple of months ago. Guess not. But I guess everyone is entitled to "try" to sell whatever they want for whatever they want, and there's unfortunately not much anyone can do about it, but laugh.

I do hope that no one gets sucked in to buying one though, it would probably take a generation or two, to get your money back.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 03:22:15 am by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 02:10:02 pm »

Initially I thought you were referring to the seller who has a raggedy Birds $20 radar up for $35.   I don't mind the odd "clueless" seller who puts a major mark up on notes because he either doesn't know better (or is reaching).  All he's doing is wasting his own money as typically his sales stay stagnant.  

All of these so called "no reserve" high starting bids are a contradiction in terms--  & should be avoided as far as I'm concerned.  There is one seller now offering a decent rare note at a very fair starting bid but I cannot place a bid on it because I've bought 2 other rare notes from him that were pressed.  I wouldn't be surprised if the collecting community knows who I'm referring to because I often see the same notes re-listed -- and they should have been snapped up by now.

What really bothers me is the "dealer" like seller who has the fancy graphics and is from places like "100% satisfaction guaranteed" or "Great banknotes Canada" or "Honest Toronto" and other stupid aliases so you cannot determine their origin.  Typically these "Greatripoffartists" have annoying long BOGUS names like "ceritifiednotegalleryofCanada" and their starting bid prices are triple what they should be (as Submit Best Offer).  One now has a partially torn (fine) $20 low number (in the hundreds) starting for $335 (which books at $70 in UNC).  The note might be worth $25 and look what his starting bid is!

Although their market is likely international, I wish eBay would police such offenders because they're  not good for the hobby.  I also think the unitiated not only get ripped off, but also get the erroneous impression that they can make a fortune just like the same "rip off artists" they bought notes from!

happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:37:58 pm »

I'd have to agree with (a), that this seller is trying to give the false impression that these radar notes are much more valuable than reality. With enough notes listed, it almost gives the impression that his prices are the "standard" price, especially if no other radar notes happen to be listed at the time.

He's probably doing a favor to anyone listing a "no reserve" radar note, since bidders are likely to see what else is for sale as a comparison. Although he might temporarily drive prices up, I doubt their value in the long term will be affected one way or another...
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:10:47 pm »

I hope no one falls for it.

I would like to offer this parallel - radar notes are like stocks- open market, andmore demand = higher price.

I had a stock that was thinly traded, and market value of about 1 penny.  I put in a sell order for $5.00/share just to see what would happen.  Yes, that is a multiple of 500 times what the value was.
GUESS WHAT?

The brokerage company CANCELLED my "sell" order it because it was
a) ridiculous, and
b) not probable in any sense of the word, and
c) was beyond a reasonable doubt that the seller was trying to make a ridiculous profit at the expense of someone who did not know in full, themechanics of the market system.

I think that ebay should do the same thing - on grounds of it being totally unreasonable.  I think they would have the legal support to do so.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:11:14 pm by hudsonab »

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 09:17:55 pm »

Yahho is nice no fees at all but nobody goes there to look what is for sale ( you might get 5 hits)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 11:40:35 pm »

ebay already polices their site. If you say you will take Cash, or say paypal from CC ONLY, your auction listing could get removed. they do ALOT of policing. Also, for innapropriate stuff.  

Like you can't sell human body parts I believe.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 12:22:40 am »

eBay probably supports these charlatans because they're paying the insert fees, etc,  As long as business as usual -- everyone's  "happy."  I'm sure there'll be a few international collectors who may wise up to the fact that they didn't get a super rare note at a fair price: but their collective negative feedback (or protest) can't amount to much.  I can see what you're saying Rachel and its disappointing to think there are market manipulators like that out there. Your observations seem to be playing out.  The market is sort of "numb" in that it can be hot for newer notes properly listed, and very cold for the rest, esp highly listed starting priced stuff -- even though some of the rarer stuff seems fairly priced.  I know January can be slow -- but there's been a few really good notes with fair starts that aren't going anywhere -- whereas any rare Journeys started low goes through the roof (HPA or BER insert for example).  These characters -- by inundating ebay with pricey notes, and then with the market seeing all the common filler next to the poorly priced stuff, means that if anything does come up with a low start -- and investment potential-- is pounced on.

rew150
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 10:45:56 pm »

ebay is the land of "BUYER BEWARE"

but bargains can be had.......good place to find some notes to fill spots in your collection until you find a better one somewhere else too.

use this rule of thumb, do some research, if its too good to be true; than it is.

other than that its a pretty amazing place.

where else can you find an atari 2600 with 30 games!!    :) :) :)

Login with username, password and session length