Author
Topic: One digit radar notes  (Read 7189 times)
rpaulen
« on: January 12, 2007, 03:21:23 am »

Hi there, I am new to this site. I am a coin person so I am like a fish out of water here. I recently acquired a couple of 1973 $1 one digit radar notes from an estate sale. Typical prefixes and the common Lawson-Bouey signatures. Both notes are uncirculated to choice uncirculated, one with all 4s and one with all 5s. My question is to the dealers and collectors here. What are these things worth in todays red-hot paper market (dealer buying and selling prices)? There is a significant difference between the Charlton Standard Catalogue price and the estimates expected in recent auction booklets, (the upcoming February TOREX as an example), and in other catalogues, prices realized are often 15 to 65% above book value. Thanks for your opinions.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:31:09 am »

Consign these to Moores for a later auction. The best price will come from it that way.
You may also consider others to sell them.

Such items are most difficult to put a price on them.

Rick
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:50:07 pm »

Actually, the ebay fees are higher than consigning them to a major auction, which is less than 5%.
They are insured that way as well. And, you don't have to worry about shipping, Paypal fees, conversion fees.

Rick
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 10:53:10 pm »

Rick, I think that most of the major auctioneers seller premium is 15% for paper, usually 5% on coins.

Tom   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:29:56 pm »

The fee to consign an item, coin or paper, is most often 5% or less. In fact, they will all negotiate, and if the item is particularly valueable, you may get back more than the hammer fee.
I charge 0% to sell a consigned item in auction.
Ebay fees are 3.25% + initial fee + picture fees if any.
PP fees are a lot higher.

Rick
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:10:38 am »

For some auctioneers, the seller's fee is 10% whether it sells or not, so if it does not sell, you are out 10% with some auctioneers. But as rscoins indicated, it depends on the auctioneer. On ebay, you would pay the real fees if it sells.
hanmer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 10:11:47 am »

Another thing to point out going the E Bay route, is that if the item doesn't sell, then I believe you can relist it for free at a later time. I'm sure a UNC single digit anything would generate some interest. Start the auction at face value and the listing fee would be minimal. For an item like this, I would put some fine print in stating something like "I reserve the right to end the auction early if not enough interest is generated" that way you wouldn't even need to have a reserve price. The only downfall this way is if you pull the auction early, then I'm not sure if you can relist for no fees. As far as shipping goes, make the shipping price 8 to 10 dollars and Express Post only. If I was a buyer of a higher end item such as these, I'd happily pay the extra for Express Post to ensure I get it in good order.

Just my 2 cents.

[smiley=beer.gif]

:)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 01:49:36 pm »

Hanmer is Partially correct.  ;)

If you List an item at a really low start price, yes the fee's will be low. But if it sells for a higher price the fee's are re-calculated for what it ends up selling for.

As for ending listings that has bids on it. I would STRONGLY advise not doing this. eBay does not tolerate that kind of behavior. If you do it a couple times they may suspend your selling privileges.  :-/

As for if your item does not sell, the re-listing is not free. What they have is a 1/2 Price re-listing. So unless you are not confident the market will will see what you have in mind for the note I would not start it at a very low price.  :-?

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 02:14:27 pm »

The auction company makes money on the selling price.
The consignor gets whatever the agreement is with the auctioneer. It may be from 95% to 105% of the hammer price. Yes, some people calculate the hammer fee into the amount they are willing to bid, but the plus side is the note is sitting there to judge the grade, no guess work.

Consider all methods. On ebay, unless you have picture perfect scans and are well known as a seller, you may just get a much lower price than you thought.

Rick
rpaulen
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 05:46:46 pm »

I had thought about consigning them to this November's Edmonton Money Show auction (nothing like some local goods in the auction). The ENS will be changing auctioneers to C&P this year - anyone know what C&P's selling percentage fee is?

Maybe Rick's offer is the one to take (0%), and consign them to next year's CAND auction in Hamilton.

Roger
hanmer
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

This reads to me that the relist is free. Granted you do pay up front for the relist, but it is credited back.

You can also access the “relist” link from the item page for the ended listing .

Note: You must use the official Relist feature in order to receive the Insertion Fee credit. Copying and pasting the content of the original listing into a brand new listing, for example, will not enable eBay to track that you are relisting the item and will prevent you from receiving the credit.

[smiley=beer.gif]

jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 10:22:46 pm »

The relist on ebay is free only if the item sells the second time around.

Now with items over $200 all the underbidders' ID's on ebay are hidden. If the seller is unknown with a low feedback, the item may sell for a low price as the buyers may fear shills. It would be wise to start at a price you want. that way, buyers do not fear shills and the transaction is much more transparent with the new ebay "ID protection".
hanmer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 10:47:17 pm »

Good point. I've never had to relist more than once. Shows you what I know.

[smiley=beer.gif]

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 11:38:39 am »

I quoted fees are those that I actually charged when I did two auctions in Niagara Falls.
The CAND auction, for 2007, is held by Jeffrey Hoare Auctions of London. The buyer's premium in this auction is 12.5% of the hammer price. I do not know what is charged to the consignor, but I do know they charge the consignor a listing fee plus an insurance fee. I suspect under 5% total.

Many very high prices are achieved in live auctions. sometimes the bidding from the floor is very hectic.

Their may be no CAND show in 2008. The hotel is very difficult to work with.

Rick
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 10:49:05 pm »

Everything done in numismatics with regard to buying and selling has fees of some sort. Ebay, Paypal, money orders, cheques, ATM transactions, auction fees for buyer and sellers. Hotels actually want to be paid for renting pieces of them, and the parking lots want money as well. Collectors go with the facilties that give them the best bang for the buck.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length