Author
Topic: If you worked for the BOC......  (Read 9088 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:58:10 pm »

In the printing facilities at CBNC, or had access to all denominations before they got shipped out to major branches across the country....would you try to search every possible note/bricks, including $5s, $10, $20s, $50s and 100s for all radars, inserts and weird prefixes? I bet all those radar and brick searchers would go crazy at the thought of letting "one" slip by. You'd have to go through tens of millions of notes every month to search for every possible keeper note.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 12:34:59 am »

Yes, I only wish this situation is only theoretical.  :(

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 09:55:23 am »

I know that as the hobby gains more popularity and the prices of unusual banknotes soar ,many individuals who work in banks go through items that once were never bothered with like older issues that are to be returned and destroyed.
Even by these people sifting through the stuff makes it more and more difficult to obtain items from the bank that may have ended up in OUR hands at one point.  But who can blame them. would we not all do the same if we had the opportunity.
I remember as a kid working in the school cafeteria I would bring in $10.00 every morning and usually be lucky enough to swap it all for silver coin by the end of the lunch hour when no one even bothered  with it.  I guess that tells everyone how old I must be. But the good thing is that I still have it.

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:04:49 pm »

WOW, Canada used to have silver coins??? :D

Scott
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 02:14:31 pm »

Hey Scott,

Yes, there is a huge world of Coin collecting out there. Silver dollars have been around for a VERY long time.

You should take a look at the Charlton book for coins, I can be a very good read!  ;)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 03:49:38 pm »

Generally, the people working in the banks have no idea some notes are worth more than face, and would think you're nuts for suggesting so. The occasional bank person will jump on some ratty modified issue for face just 'cause it's old, but would probably miss a modern rarity.
I suppose it's  good they don't know anything though, imagine if all replacements and fancy numbers were saved they wouldn't be rare.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 03:58:06 pm »

Scott
OK, everyone can stop taking Scott seriously.... Sarcasm classes will be held next Tuesday, and every Tuesday following that until you folks learn to recognize it.

(Scott is not 12 years old, nor is he nearly as naive as a 12-year-old. His statement was made with tongue firmly in cheek)

Hey, I heard a rumour that we once had a KING - Is that right? I thought Queen Elizabeth had been around forever!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:01:06 pm »

Do you notice how she never ages on the coin.  I think they are trying to pull a Wiarton Willie on us.

FRIEDSQUID

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 07:49:04 pm »

Scott
OK, everyone can stop taking Scott seriously.... Sarcasm classes will be held next Tuesday, and every Tuesday following that until you folks learn to recognize it.

(Scott is not 12 years old, nor is he nearly as naive as a 12-year-old. His statement was made with tongue firmly in cheek)

Hey, I heard a rumour that we once had a KING - Is that right? I thought Queen Elizabeth had been around forever!
Some people have been so blasphemous as to suggest Canada had a paper dollar and the Mounties wear these quaint red uniforms and big dopey hats...next thing you know the Yankees will be spreading rumours that we have electricity and indoor plumbing!  >:( ::) :D

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47:31 pm »

Hey joking aside, in my neck of the woods electricity and indoor plumbing is hard to find amongst all the mennonites here.

FRIEDSQUID

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 09:30:12 pm »

The Mennoites here are pretty good about technology here in BC, a little more progressive. When I was a member of the local Burnaby Mennonite Brethern I drove a black Toyata 4x4. Now I repented and ride a Black and silver Trek 4100 Mountain bike. No horses for me thank you. This is when I was collecting those bird notes and the odd Silver coin. And, I don't have that 1948 Unc Silver Canada dollar either.

PD "whar's me black hat Abe?"

PS. If I were running the BOC, I'd put Tommy Douglas on the Ten because he's a Baptist.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:55:20 pm by Punkys_Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 09:55:32 pm »

Yes Canada did have Silver coins till the mid 60's, that then all Central Banks pulled the Silver coins, because of the rising Silver prices people collected the coins and had them melted down for extra profit.  

On this note, here is another little fact:

For anyone who has time, Canadian Nickels from 1955 to 1981 are 99% nickel.
100 of them (barring any wear) should weigh 454 grams, or 1 pound.

One pound of nicles of this age is a value of $5.00 (100 nickels)

One pound of nickel is around $11.50 US I believe.

If anyone has the time and access.... ;)  See the window of opportunity?
The thing is, most metal places will not take in coin to melt. (Yes I got curious so I called and asked one day  :D).

H
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:56:19 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 10:10:39 pm »

So if I stretch a copper penny into a piece of copper wire can I sell the copper wire as scrap and make money

FRIEDSQUID

Login with username, password and session length