Author
Topic: More than one collection?  (Read 7782 times)
Biker Bob
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:40:52 pm »

Hi my Grandson is starting to collect coins.I was just wondering if he can also put some paper money in the collection, or should never the twain shall meet?
In other words do most collectors just keep to either coins or banknotes?

Thanx Bob
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:51:09 pm »

As I've often heard collect what you enjoy. I think most collect whatever they can get there hands on when they first start and after awhile they seem to specialize into a specific area.

I think most start with coins and some move over to paper money after they see coin values never go up and all the mint sets they have are worth half as much as when they first purchased them.

Gary_T
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 11:14:30 pm »

Many collectors begin with coins or banknotes and then switch, some even switch back to what they were originally collected. In my opinion it would be best to only collect Canadian banknotes; though that opinion may be slightly biased ;).

Send me an email Bob with your shipping address and I will send you a package of some banknotes, free of charge, to get your grandson started.
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:21:44 pm »

coins or paper it is what you enjoy but to me finding that elusive missing note would be the same as looking for a 1948 silver dollar to other collectors
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:33:36 am »

Hehehehe....

Ahh Yes.... The '48 Silver Dollar.

I can be difficult but well worth the effort!!!  ;D

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 02:12:06 pm »

WOW that is very generous of you Oli1001  :D

I think your budget plays a big factor in what to collect. If he is still quite young then he may consider the following.

My only advice would be that Canadian paper money collecting is hot right now and may prove more expensive to collect than coins.  There are very beautiful world bank notes available in UNC for next to nothing that make for interesting collection.

Older coins can more easily be found in your pocket change and could be handled with less caution than paper money

With that said I am 100% in paper money

KC's Canadian Currency
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:02:28 pm »

All good advice here...

World bank notes are a great way to go, and of course you can get plenty of 1970's $1/2/5's for little over face.  If you go to a show make sure to go to the KID's sections, or ask dealer's for those notes (bargain deals).  Check the UPCOMING EVENTS thread on this site for the shows nearest you.

Also, consider buying a USED Charlton catalogue at first, to see if your grandson takes to it or not.  Plenty of 2007 19th Ed will be available at a fraction of the next issue's cost.  The book (bible in paper money) is well worth the price-- if not for the pictures/info alone.  While the 2007 Ed prices may be somewhat dated and newer prefixes unlisted, it is likely your grandson will be more interested in the lower denominations of pre-86 (and there won't be too huge a $ difference with most common notes).  Of course, most people on this site will advise you to stick to higher grade notes (this IS good advice).  You also should haggle a little over the prices listed at shows (most dealers expect it!) especially on more common notes. 

It would be worthwhile to point him in the direction of lower denominations.  I've seen member's kids get very interested in collecting 1954 Devil's faces...which are collected all over the world (one reason for their popularity).

If you take him to the odd show (which can be fun/interesting for both of you) you can browse the various tables and see what piques his interest.  You can also pick up the note holder sheets, and other supplies.  Its a great place to meet other collectors...and there's plenty of young and old collectors alike. You can learn a lot there too.

While its true that Canadian bank notes leave most coins in the dust as a potential investment -- most kids start out collecting just for the eye appeal and could care less about making money on the hobby.  At the show you may discover that he truly likes coins instead.  I would guide him in whatever direction he chooses since it will be his hobby (not yours) to embrace.  Hey... and then you can collect a few notes for yourself! 

Login with username, password and session length