Author
Topic: $50 error note  (Read 5252 times)
toronto gal
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:21:56 am »

I received this note in my change today and just wondering how much money it would fetch. Bill seems to be in good condition other then a couple of folds.

[edit]Hosted image on ImageShack, added thumbnail to this post, cleaned up thread. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:31:30 am by BWJM »
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:27:11 am »

I don't have my catalogue with me, but I can tell you that this error is (to the best of my memory) that this type of error is not listed in the Charlton Catalogue, the most trusted name (apparently) at this forum. We've seen another error recently (posted by you, if memory serves) that had this kind of missing security strip, but that note was found to have probably been one that had its strip removed and placed on a counterfeit note because of a lack of printing on top of the missing security strip. This note, in my opinion, is probably a real error, and if so, could fetch at least a couple hundred dollars in my opinion.

This post in a nutshell: Congratulations. If this note is found to be a genuine error, this note could be worth upwards of a couple hundred dollars. Nice find!

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:56:54 am »

This does not look real to me. A little bit of the strip can be seen just above the coat of arms and some of the paper is peeled away at the top.
  I would not buy an error like this because the strip can be removed.

Gary_T
toronto gal
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:07:36 am »

Yes i noticed that it looked like that as well but i think the person before hand had tried to see if it was real. I know the security strip can be taken off but i had posted another bill of a ten that completely had no security strip. That upon further investigation found out to be taken off. At close examination of this bill i noticed that there is no silver in between the coat of arms. I would think that if someone tried to take the strip off that as in the ten dollar bill there would be no coat of arms or 50 dollar printing after the strip.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:29:11 am »

This does not look real to me. A little bit of the strip can be seen just above the coat of arms and some of the paper is peeled away at the top.
  I would not buy an error like this because the strip can be removed.

I definitely have to agree with Gary on this...the note looks like it has be altered by someone.   
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:56:48 am »

I think that this is a tougher call... I honestly don't know what to think of this, because to remove the security strip with such precision would be... darn well impossible, unless someone had a LOAD of time on their hands, especially because the intaglio printing is still present, and I'd like to see YOU try and remove the security strip around the Coat of Arms without damaging it.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:45:36 pm »

other notes like this have been shown on this forum (mostly in the error thread I beleive), none of which have been discovered in the uncirculated condition.  I had a five just like it, that had all other security features, and was diffenitely not a counterfit, my first instict of that one, and this, is that it's been through a washing machine, 2nd instinct is that someone took the time to pull off the strip, maybe out of curisity.  It reminds me of the twonie when it first hit circulation, and everyone was finding ways to punch out the center, and claiming they had an error coin.
http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=5743.0

just my 2 cents worth
toronto gal
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:54:31 am »

I agree with platyfish someone would have to have a lot of time on their hands to figure out how to get the strip off without damaging the coat of arms. As for being washed there would be wear on the coat of arms as well but that is fully intact. I have posted a 10 dollar bill that completely had no strip in which it was found out that had been taken off. As all bills that have been posted so far without the strip all that i have seen are completely gone with no coat of arms or denomination of the bill at the top.
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:59:17 am »

Just wanted to let everyone know that, to see if it was possible to remove the security strip on a new UNC. 5.00, I was able to scrape away the entire strip with a one sided razor blade in just 5 minutes, leaving no trace of any silver and without ripping the paper fibers 8). I had to tape both edges so as not to remove any of the blue ink and also to make a perfectly straight line down both sides. I showed it to a few collector friends who were certain that it was indeed a genuine Error :o, however I had to tell them that it was very easily faked  :(. Once I get my camera back I will post a picture for all to see.                                                                                             
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:24:06 pm by nova7415 »

Login with username, password and session length