Author
Topic: Catalogue covers  (Read 2922 times)
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:40:01 am »

The posts have been slow lately so I thought I'd post this to get things going.

I for one really miss the covers of the older catalogues with cover pictures of older rare notes, the ones I'll never own. One of my favorites has the 1924 $5 note showing the front of the note on the cover and the back of the note on the back of the catalogue. The one with the $500 note in color was nice too.

The last quite a few catalogues have had the journey notes that we see every day, pretty boring to me. I'd like to see the covers changed to rare old notes again.

Gary_T
Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:15:48 pm »

I would have to concur, the last few covers seem like an after though, both the bird and journey series - its like someone just pull a note out of his/her wallet/purse for the mock up of the cover just before it was printed, although  I'm sure this is not the case.  No doubt painstaking hours of meetings of Charlton Catalogue Cover Selection committee  have when into the selection of the appropriate note to each catalogue.

The original 1984 Catalogue actually had 2 or 3 notes on it, I'm sure if they did that now it would add another $4 to the issue price
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:59:28 pm »

I have to agree as well, but I wonder if the cover choice is made to sell catalogues....
I could be totally out of the ball park here, but if a person sees a note on the cover that they are familiar with are they more likely to pick up the catalogue to look at it as opposed to having an old note that they have never seen in their lifetime and pass by it when they see it on the shelf....
No matter what is on the cover .....current collectors will still buy the catalogue knowing what is inside, but a new potential collector may have no idea...so it has to get their attention...anyone agree? or disagree?

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 05:41:56 pm »

Anybody know what the production (printing) numbers are for each year of the last 10-15 years?

Login with username, password and session length